public safety class, teams? training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im saying because im a diver doing commercial work, im a commercial diver! I'm insured as a commercial diver and recognized as a commercial diver.

so I have a couple of questions.

How are you a commercial diver if you're still in High School?

Does OHSA and FLSA even allow you to work as a diver?

FLSA states that a youth, even age 16-17 cannot work in a Hazardous job. I do believe that OHSA defines 'commercial diver' as a hazardous job. Under age 16 they can't work in a construction job or hoisting job, which would be included in diving.

Also not sure how you have 10 years experience as stated in another thread, if you're in High School? Since in that same thread you verify you're 17 years old.

and one more question.... You state you're a Captain (in your user badge and title)

The minimum age for a USCG Captains license is 18 years old and you are required to have a minimum 365 days experience for that. yet you have that in High School ?

so how is it that a High School kid who is 17 supposedly has his USCG Captains License?

:idk:

:popcorn:

Not to battle the point but is that actually legal down there? Up here, to be a commercial diver (and a PSD) you must be trained as such - it doesn't matter if you're collecting golf balls or surveying a dam. I thought that commercial diving down there had standards (is it OHSA?) and I'd assume that as part of those standards they would include proof of competency/training?
I realize that theres no manditory standards for PSD down there, which is a problem; anybody can throw up a shingle and say that they are a PSD team. I didn't think the same was true about commercial diving(?)

There's a couple of commercial guys that drop in here from time to time so I'd imagine they'd know for sure - mudiver?

Incompetence is the pre-recquisite in the U.S to be a contractor. Therfore there are no U.S. compentcy training programs, it would be counter productive.

Now, joking aside, yes it is the tenet of the U.S. that anyone can declaire that they are in business to provide product "A" or service "B". It is the industry, usually, and the consumers in that industry that weed out the non-trained and incompetent through the age old act of running one out of business by holding the person to the contract that was agreed to. If it take more than one try one is losing money and usually ends up completing a job at a loss. :D

One does not have to have any formal certification to work in the commercial diving industry in the U.S. The apprentice system was grandfatherd in to the OSHA and Labor regulations in the U.S. The only recognized companies that use that are union pile driver signatory. The offshore industry sticks to the ADCI standards and requires commercial diver certifications. It's mostly industry driven inforcement, but if you don't have an air hat ticket you are more than likely smal-potatoes, a hull-scrubber or a troll. :wink:

Sorry, I don't know what FLSA is and OSHA only applies if you are or have employees. Usually OSHA doesn't kick in until some gets a bo-bo or loses-an-eye.

Last edited:
Interesting post Mike S. I think that most divers on SB would applaud you for your desire to learn about diving. But it seems that one the surface you may be attempting to portray yourself as something that you are not. Do not grow up faster that you have to. Don't put yourself in a position that you may not be able to defend at a later date. Was wondering, is this a picture of you? Who actually owns Sterling Marine?

PICT0436.JPG

Well I haven't cut any corners! I know ppl with established businesses that aren't even certified to scuba....

Well, as of three days ago you don't have any insurance. That IS cutting a very big corner. You're cutting more than you think or care to admit.

Okay even though I'm pretty new to my involvement with PSD, I do have this to say. If you are in fact 17-18 years old are you SURE you can handle running in to a body in 0 viz conditions, with out panicking and still be able to do it again the next day? When I joined the local Marine Rescue Team I am fairly confident that I can handle it because I've been involved in emergency services for 12 years, I've seen people die young and old, done CPR, found badly burnt bodies and been exposed to enough bad ju-ju to know that I can stop, compose myself do the job and deal emotionally with it at the end of the day. Just be sure you are ready as any of these guys will tell you it can take a toll on your emotional/mental health if you don't deal with the stress right. My suggestion to you is get involved in a volunteer fire company or ambulance company, if you can handle that, then move in to PSD! Best of luck!

Call your local LE agency or harbour police and ask them about their dive recovery unit. The problem people have in large costal cities is that the normal "SAR" dive team that functions throughout the country are not possible in these big city, coastal locations. In Seattle they will have LE divers, HP divers, Navy dive units, and coast guard dive units that will be utilized before public SAR. In order to do this type of diving in your area you may have to join a local LE agency and be a reserve officer at the very least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom