First time to 70'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got certified in Feb during certification went to 50' no problem. This past weekend went diving in a quarry and went down to 50' + without an issue other than water being low 60's. I was wearing a 3mil, hood and no gloves(lost on the way). It was the end of the day and I put on my 7mil and hood and started down a line to 65'. It was cold! I saw 56 on my computer and we continued down to 70'. I guess i was way uncomfortable when all I wanted to do is go up. It was 54 and I was cold mixed in with the air at 70' being tight. All I wanted to do is ascend I signaled to my buddy and start my ascent at 60fmp and he slowed me down to about 30fpm. once I hit about 35' I was fine when the water warmed up to mid 70's. I guess I just stressed out down there. Is this normal or should I have a concern this was 8 dive in total. Thx for the help.

Which quarry did you go diving in? 54 shouldn't feel that cold in a 7mm with hood, but it is possible that your computer was still acclimating to the colder temperature of the surrounding water. I routinely dive in Lake Lanier where it is 48 degrees at 53 feet but yet in 70s/80s for the first 30 feet of depth. When I dive Lanier I go with 7mm and 3mm/5mm hooded vest and 3mm gloves and 5mm boots. When the temperature goes below 50 it gets cold.

If you want to go diving somewhat locally and avoid freezing try Lake Jocassee in South Carolina, its probably 2-2.5 hours way from you. The water temperature there during the summer is in the 70s until about 90 feet. In November of last year I logged 62 degrees at 95 feet.

You had several variables changing in that dive -- You were now in a 7 mil suit, which is less flexible and may be more constricting than your 3 mil. You were in cold water, to which you are not accustomed. And you were deeper, which at least around here means that it was probably getting dark. It is also possible that the regulator you are using doesn't breathe particularly well, and that will be magnified at depth.

The regulator and the suit are two things you can check -- you can do a shallow dive in the warmer water in the suit, and make sure you feel okay in it, and you can have a shop check the cracking pressure on the regulator, to make sure the work of breathing is acceptable. If those two tests don't show any problems, then you just need some experience to acclimatize to cold water.

The one thing that jumps out at me in your post is that your buddy had to slow your ascent. Remember that bolting to the surface just isn't a safe behavior for a diver! When you are anxious and uncomfortable, try to slow your breathing, signal your buddy, and ascend in an orderly fashion. Assuming you have gas in your tank, there aren't very many things that can seriously hurt you while you are diving, but a too-rapid ascent is one of them.

Got certified in Feb during certification went to 50' no problem. This past weekend went diving in a quarry and went down to 50' + without an issue other than water being low 60's. I was wearing a 3mil, hood and no gloves(lost on the way). It was the end of the day and I put on my 7mil and hood and started down a line to 65'. It was cold! I saw 56 on my computer and we continued down to 70'. I guess i was way uncomfortable when all I wanted to do is go up. It was 54 and I was cold mixed in with the air at 70' being tight. All I wanted to do is ascend I signaled to my buddy and start my ascent at 60fmp and he slowed me down to about 30fpm. once I hit about 35' I was fine when the water warmed up to mid 70's. I guess I just stressed out down there. Is this normal or should I have a concern this was 8 dive in total. Thx for the help.

Blue Water is about 20 min from my house, and I dive there often. Were you headed to the school bus? That is the most popular place with an ascent line that goes to about 75'. I can remember the first time I dove ABWA 12 years ago or so in a 3mil and hit that thermocline. BRRRR! If this was your first time past this thermocline in ABWA I'm sure it was a shocker, it was for me. If you are not expecting it, it can freak you out. Best thing to do, as with any abrupt change in conditions, is to stop, breathe, relax/think. Once you acclimate, you should be able to continue. I know people that dive it in 7mil/hood, etc and are fine, just depends on your personal tolerance. Mine is fairly high, but I have a drysuit now and am happy as a clam at any depth in ABWA, or anywhere :)

Short story, chalk it up to experience, learn from it and keep diving! If you ever get over here again, drop me a note, be happy to dive with you!

The one thing that jumps out at me in your post is that your buddy had to slow your ascent. Remember that bolting to the surface just isn't a safe behavior for a diver! When you are anxious and uncomfortable, try to slow your breathing, signal your buddy, and ascend in an orderly fashion. Assuming you have gas in your tank, there aren't very many things that can seriously hurt you while you are diving, but a too-rapid ascent is one of them.

Seconded!

You should come down to Mexico, the water temps about 30 in the Caribbean at the min that's 86!

Leave your rubber at home :D

I thought 60fmp is ok? Maybe I was just anxious to get going up? I was aware not to ascend to fast. I guess always be safe than sorry. I felt the 7mil compress and that made it uncomfortable. Also on my wife second stage it was bleeding air slightly so she ended her dive for the day. Maybe our regs need to be serviced although thay only have 8 dives on them?

I thought 60fmp is ok? Maybe I was just anxious to get going up? I was aware not to ascend to fast. I guess always be safe than sorry. I felt the 7mil compress and that made it uncomfortable. Also on my wife second stage it was bleeding air slightly so she ended her dive for the day. Maybe our regs need to be serviced although thay only have 8 dives on them?

So were you diving with your wife or someone else as a buddy? What Regulator sets do you have, as some have an adjustment knob designed to adjust the cracking pressure, so if it seems to be bleeding air it just means that the cracking pressure is set to low and you can tighten the knob to a point where it isn't bleeding air. If the regulators are not adjustable then I would take them to where you purchased them to have them adjusted.

18mpm/60fpm is the recommended ascent rate, but if your buddy felt that they had to slow your ascent, you must have been going faster.

As a general rule, don't ascend any faster than the smallest of bubbles that come from your reg when you exhale. (or buy a computer with an ascent alarm.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom