Need Help Buying First Wet Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moonhowler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting back into diving after several decades and need help on getting just what I need in the way of wetsuits. I live in NW Arkansas about 40 minutes from Beaver Lake Dam. I'd like to think that I'll dive the lake often and year long (as much possible). The reality may be that I get bored with the lake since it's not like the ocean. What do you recommend for must-have exposure suits and possible combinations with hoods or hooded vests? 3mm, 5mm, 7mm? (I tend to run cold these days) I was originally thinking of getting a drysuit, but the cost and the fact that few people around even use them makes me wonder if it's worth it. My two LDSs don't even sell them anymore. because they didn't sell.

I need suits for the local lake as well as for a trip to the Bahamas mid-July. I expect to eventually get to the Red Sea, and various places in the Carribean during any month of the year. Also, since my daughter lives in Chicago, I expect to do some wreck diving in Lake Michigan on a charter when I visit.

The water currently is 42 at 60 feet in Beaver Lake. Very few divers this time of year. In summer the surface gets to the 80s, but then there are a few thermoclines as you go down. I don't know what the temp range might be.

What should I have in my exposure-suit arsenal (without over buying)?

With the water temps you mentioned a 7mm semi-dry is what you will need to stay warm. The warm water you will want a 3mm, not for the first dive but the later dives as your body loses ability to heat itself after repeated dives. One suit will not be comfortable with that range of water temps.

I get cold. I dive a 5mm in tropical destinations (80 and above ocean temps), and a 7mm in the springs (72 degrees). In winter I add a 7mm step-in vest and STILL get uncomfortably cold after about an hour.

I recently was on the west coast in 50ish degrees in my 7mm + 7mm step-in vest, and couldn’t make it much past 20-30 minutes.

If you get cold in a 7mm like I do, just get a drysuit. Plenty of folks around here where them in the caves, as do west coast divers, Great Lakes divers, northeast wreck divers, etc.

I get cold. I dive a 5mm in tropical destinations (80 and above ocean temps), and a 7mm in the springs (72 degrees). In winter I add a 7mm step-in vest and STILL get uncomfortably cold after about an hour.

I recently was on the west coast in 50ish degrees in my 7mm + 7mm step-in vest, and couldn’t make it much past 20-30 minutes.

If you get cold in a 7mm like I do, just get a drysuit. Plenty of folks around here where them in the caves, as do west coast divers, Great Lakes divers, northeast wreck divers, etc.
I am inclined to just skip the 5mm and 7mm wetsuit purchases and go straight to a drysuit. It seems like it will be not only warmer, but easier to don and doff. I don't like having to win a wrestling match with a pile of rubber every time I want to dive. But I've never had a dry suit, so I'm just guessing it's easier. One person said they are a pain to travel with, but I don't understand why.

If you want to dive year-round in your lake, that seems reasonable - have you thought about taking a drysuit class so you can try one and see how you like it first?
No I haven't. I've heard way more people say they love their dry suits than not, so I'm assuming they are nicer to dive, at least in cold water. My big question is why not just skip wetsuits all together and just get a drysuit first? Seems like they work in a big range of temperatures.

If you diving in very cold water (like that) I would suggest a 7 mm two piece suit. the integrated hood, elimination of all zipper and smooth interior make the suit extremely warm. The suit is very easy to put on, because suit lube is used, no more struggling with a sticky, clingy and heavy wetsuit. These suits are also very flexible because we use the best neoprene available - Yamamoto and the elimination of a nylon inner liner also enhances flexibility. Women's and men's sizes (and kid's) sizes available.

For the Bahamas in the summer, you are going to need limited thermal protection and a lot of sun (and sting) protection. Our one piece 2 mm back zip suit is probably perfect for this application. You can (should) add either a lycra hood or a very comfortable 2 mm neoprene hood. the suit is reversible, meaning you have two color options, for each dive.

A wetsuit is going to limit both your depth and the length of your diving season. I am in a similar situation here in Utah and decided that if I’m serious about getting some significant time in the water, I’ve got to dive dry. And while I’m retired and have enough resources to travel, I have a family thing that prevents me from doing so. So it’s local diving for me and that means gearing up for the cold.

A wetsuit is going to limit both your depth and the length of your diving season. I am in a similar situation here in Utah and decided that if I’m serious about getting some significant time in the water, I’ve got to dive dry. And while I’m retired and have enough resources to travel, I have a family thing that prevents me from doing so. So it’s local diving for me and that means gearing up for the cold.
Yep. Sounds like we're in the same situation thinking the same sort of thoughts about how to maximize dive time where we're at. I seem to be out of sync with divers in the area who either do most all their diving on trips to nice spots, or else only dive the lakes in the peak summer months. None of the LDSs even sell dry suits anymore.

As for diving Lake Michigan, you will really, really want a dry suit for the Great Lakes. There are quarries in Illinois that are wet suit friendly, but not the Great Lakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom