Question Socorro in march wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the Socorro’s this April. Water temps were 73-75. So, whatever exposure protection works best for you in that temp range is what I would go with. I would not expect the water temps next year to be any warmer than that. If anything, a degree to 3 less.

I wore my newish Henderson Aqualock 5mm and was comfortable. I brought a hooded vest, but didn’t need it. That wetsuit is an incredibly warm and fleece lined 5mm. I would not have been comfortable with anything less.

Many in my group wore 7mm and would not have been comfortable with less than that. So, it depends on each persons comfort level.

Brief update: it would appear that El Niño has affected water tenps.

Cabo Pulmo water temps in Nov.11-14 was 82-83, about 2 degrees warmer than normal. Worth noting that bulls are still at El Vencedor, but Park rules are so strict that you could spend a week there and be unlucky enough to not get to dive it.

Socorro water temps Nov. 17-22 was 81-82, about 1-2 degrees above normal. Manta and dolphins sightings were good but shark sightings were down.

Mag Bay water temps were about 80 today, about 3-4 degrees above normal. Not much Marlins but lots of sea lions and hundreds and maybe up to a thousand dorados (aka mahi-mahi or dolphinfish). And an unusual number of whale sightings - humpbacks and Bryde's.

Thank you. I'm headed to Socorro for the first time mid-January. I appreciate the scouting report.

I am going next week. SO excited! But I am really having a hard time deciding which wetsuit to bring. Does anyone know the current water temperatures? A friend returned a week ago and said it was 82 and that a 5ml will be overkill.

Last leg of my Mexico trip was La Paz. Water temp was 79-80, Nov . 29-30.

I am going next week. SO excited! But I am really having a hard time deciding which wetsuit to bring. Does anyone know the current water temperatures? A friend returned a week ago and said it was 82 and that a 5ml will be overkill.
socorro-island-water-temperature.html

Useful source.

Question for those who have been - is the temperature typically consistent throughout the water column, or are there thermoclines? I'm slated to go the second week of January and evaluating my exposure protection options. I've got a 4-year old 3-mil that's still holding up despite the mileage and have a hood I can add to it; for winter dives in south Florida when the temps dip down to 22-23 C/72-74 F I'll dig out the old (formerly 6.5-mil) shorts/vest/hood overpiece from my Seattle days to throw over it and unless it's a chilly day I'll be good for three dives. Then I have a brand-new, never-been-dove 7-mil that might be overkill for the Revillagigedos in January, but if the temps are on the cooler side that might look really appealing by the end of the day.

Just got back and water temps were 76-78 all week. No thermoclines to speak of. Some significant current on a few dives though (i.e. get behind a rock or you will be a flag on a flagpole strong). The Boiler was the toughest in this regard. Epic trip though with lots of life.

El Niño delivered for you. 😉
How were the crossings this time of year?

Back
Top Bottom