Question Socorro in march wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was out there Jan. 11-19 on the Nautilus Undersea. We got pretty lucky on the weather; smooth crossings both ways and got to do both Roca Partida and the Boiler. Worst current spot was actually Cabo Pearce on Socorro; that was the one day where I skipped a dive (it was also the day where we missed one due to the check-in at the navy base) and I wasn't sorry.

P1180643.JPG

One of the divers said his computer was recording a fairly consistent 25 C/77 F across all our dives; with the exception of one dive where I tried throwing an extra layer on (which was more hindrance than help) I was okay with a somewhat worn 3-mil full suit and hood. Between the DMs and divers people were running the gamut from shorts and thermal tops to 7-mils.

Biggest takeaway from the trip from a diving perspective - damn, I really got schooled on gas consumption. I'm used to either doing very shallow low-effort dives on an AL 80 or doing deeper recreational dives on a steel 120 or 130 (which are usually drift dives, so no attempt made to keep station in or fight current). I did my first two dives at San Benedicto on the bog-standard AL 80 before asking for a steel 100 (and those were not filled to the nuclear pressures I usually get on my steel tanks); even then I was usually going bingo a few minutes early (although I also think some of the other divers were taking "ascend to your safety stop at 50 bar" as more of a guideline than a rule).

I was out there Jan. 11-19 on the Nautilus Undersea. We got pretty lucky on the weather; smooth crossings both ways and got to do both Roca Partida and the Boiler. Worst current spot was actually Cabo Pearce on Socorro; that was the one day where I skipped a dive (it was also the day where we missed one due to the check-in at the navy base) and I wasn't sorry.

View attachment 823539

One of the divers said his computer was recording a fairly consistent 25 C/77 F across all our dives; with the exception of one dive where I tried throwing an extra layer on (which was more hindrance than help) I was okay with a somewhat worn 3-mil full suit and hood. Between the DMs and divers people were running the gamut from shorts and thermal tops to 7-mils.

Biggest takeaway from the trip from a diving perspective - damn, I really got schooled on gas consumption. I'm used to either doing very shallow low-effort dives on an AL 80 or doing deeper recreational dives on a steel 120 or 130 (which are usually drift dives, so no attempt made to keep station in or fight current). I did my first two dives at San Benedicto on the bog-standard AL 80 before asking for a steel 100 (and those were not filled to the nuclear pressures I usually get on my steel tanks); even then I was usually going bingo a few minutes early (although I also think some of the other divers were taking "ascend to your safety stop at 50 bar" as more of a guideline than a rule).

Thanks for sharing your experience. What was the air temperature? Also when you had current did you use reef hook or just did drift dive? Did you use glove (not sure if it’s allow in Socorro)?

Thanks for sharing your experience. What was the air temperature? Also when you had current did you use reef hook or just did drift dive? Did you use glove (not sure if it’s allow in Socorro)?
There's not really drift diving as I would call it - I'm used to the Palm Beach coast in South Florida where you drop into the Gulf Stream and just go with it; on a whipping day you might end up 3-4 kilometers from where you went in. Revillagigedos by contrast you're trying to stay on the site; Roca Partida and the Boiler are both so small that you can do laps around them. With that said, it felt like the "current" we were getting was mostly induced by surge and tidal action around the topography - Cabo Pearce for instance we had a strong pull coming down the ridge line.

Reef hooks are verboten as far as I'm aware. I've heard some people say no gloves either, but nobody was policing that on the boat. Sometimes you do need to hang onto a rock and personally I consider gloves to be basic dive PPE; I've gotten a finger pinched in a boat ladder before.

Air temps ... warm-ish for a Floridian? Once the sun was up it was fairly toasty, although after the dinghy ride back to the boat there was definitely a rush for the hot shower, cider, and/or chocolate.

No knives or gloves allowed on our trip. Didn't see any reef hooks. The current would shift throughout the day and there was always a surge as well as up/down drafts that could move you 20 feet up or down. Could definitely be swirly the closer you were to the islands/walls and at certain corners. Saw bubbles go down for the first time in my diving career. A lot of my video shows bubbles trailing from divers at 45 degree angles. But aside from one or two dives that got a little out of hand it was all manageable and well worth it. The "work" involved finning to stay around the cleaning stations or chasing after hammerheads to get closer. Stay low or behind shelter where you can. The tradeoff is many dives were in the 90-110 foot range if you did that. We had humpbacks on the surface and an incredible variety in the water: hammerheads, white tips, silver tips, tigers, Galapagos and silky sharks, dolphins and mantas on just about every dive.

Just got back and water temps were 76-78 all week. No thermoclines to speak of. Some significant current on a few dives though (i.e. get behind a rock or you will be a flag on a flagpole strong). The Boiler was the toughest in this regard. Epic trip though with lots of life.

Curious, what did you do for a wetsuit? I'm going in March and the water temperatures are forecast to be about the same. Trying to decide between bringing a 5mm or a 3mm, and possibly a hood or a hooded vest.

Curious, what did you do for a wetsuit? I'm going in March and the water temperatures are forecast to be about the same. Trying to decide between bringing a 5mm or a 3mm, and possibly a hood or a hooded vest.
I was in a 5mm with a light hood and was fine. Most were in the equivalent (some were 3mm + 2mm hooded vest for example). Everybody's different, of course. I think the trick is staying warmer than you think you need to be between dives (i.e. sweatshirt/sweatpants). With so many repetitive dives, err on the side of getting progressively chilled. There were a few times where I felt a little cooler but looked at my computer and saw 78. In other words, the "problem" was me, not the ocean.

We are going last week of March/first week of April. From what I've researched the temps can be quite variable so we will dive 5mm fulls. Also picked up some Sharkskin hoods and zippered vests (theoretically 5mm additional). Hopefully that will handle whatever ranges we encounter. A bit late for your trip but I will include exposure suits and how they held up against the elements in my final report.
Getting excited now!!!

No knives or gloves allowed on our trip. Didn't see any reef hooks. The current would shift throughout the day and there was always a surge as well as up/down drafts that could move you 20 feet up or down. Could definitely be swirly the closer you were to the islands/walls and at certain corners. Saw bubbles go down for the first time in my diving career. A lot of my video shows bubbles trailing from divers at 45 degree angles. But aside from one or two dives that got a little out of hand it was all manageable and well worth it. The "work" involved finning to stay around the cleaning stations or chasing after hammerheads to get closer. Stay low or behind shelter where you can. The tradeoff is many dives were in the 90-110 foot range if you did that. We had humpbacks on the surface and an incredible variety in the water: hammerheads, white tips, silver tips, tigers, Galapagos and silky sharks, dolphins and mantas on just about every dive.
Sounds Incredible!!!

Rather than start another thread, I figured I'd piggy back.

Socorro mid May this year. I'm not very cold sensitive. Can dive warm waters with no wetsuit all week. (bonaire, cozumel, keys).

Operator says likely 78/79F, but I don't want to sell myself short and be stuck on the boat with not enough protection.

I currently have a 3mm and 8mm semi dry. Deciding on what the best bet would be for finding the right combination.

5mm shorty with a lavacore?

Full 5mm?

I'll bring my 3mm just in case...

TIA

Leaving next week (3-Apr to 11-Apr) - woo!

Bringing a Bare Evoke 7mm, a Henderson 5mm hood, Henderson 5 mm hooded vest, Henderson 3mm full suit, Bare Exowear LS top, 5mm boots and 3/4 gloves. Thought about getting a 5mm, but figured I can alternate the 7mm + hood with the 3mm + thermal top + hooded vest. Less to buy and pack.

Also - bringing a pack of ECLIPSE GLASSES for April 8th totality.
Eeee - so excited!

Back
Top Bottom