South Padre Island Recommended Dive Sites??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzoza001

New
Reaction score
I recently got my open water diver cert through PADI in California and will be heading to South Padre Island in a couple of weeks any recommended dive sites/charters?

I think that the only game in town anymore is American Diving. If Deep6 will run a charter for you, that's who I'd go with, but it can be hit or miss.

I tried to dive with Deep6 when the American Diving boat threw a rod last year and was out of action. They initially said sure, they had space and then called the day that I was leaving to fly down there and told me that they didn't have space because they decided to take a local guy out for his checkout dives instead. I ended up snorkeling in the bay. Based on that, I consider them a little flakey. Wouldn't put too much stock in what they tell you.

American Diving is a good operation. Well stocked dive shop. Nice boat, too.

I've gone to the Texas Clipper and Seana's rig with American Diving. Very professional operation, well run, good equipment and excellent crew. I prefer a bigger platform on the boat, but they handle it well. Keep in mind that the Clipper is a relatively deep dive for a new diver, so plan carefully.

I am right there with you. As a newbie, I too will find myself On SPI this August. We originally planned to go to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, but had to bail because of the oil.

I will be following this tread with a lot of interest.

SPI has some great dives reasonably close to shore. Our two most popular dives are the Texas Clipper and the Rigs (the Iron Reefs). There are a bunch of wrecks sunk around SPI too that used to be our bread and butter, but because of the popularity of the Clipper and easy access to the Rigs, they have become our mainstays. That being said, I'm going on my third year diving the Texas Clipper and have yet to see all that she has to offer.

For $300/diver you can do two days of 2 tank diving. Lodging is fairly reasonable and a couple of Hotels offer diver's discounts (namely the Howard Johnson and the Suites at Sunchase). We repackage hotel slots to diver's for $149/night, but you may be able to get a better price by calling the hotel directly. That being said, you and a buddy could share a room and get in 4 dives a piece for under $450/ each.

American Diving has been diving the Gulf waters off of SPI for 25 years. We have the most experienced crew in the area and are the Island's only full service dive store.

South Padre has much to offer during surface intervals or for non-divers as well. Including Dolphin Watches, Eco-tours, a renowned birding center, Sea Turtle, Inc turtle rescue, Schlitterbahn waterpark, as well as world-class kiteboarding and some decent surf in the winter months. I hope folks take the chance to come dive with us this summer. Also hope that clean-up and recovery happens quickly so that our fellow dive ops in the gulf are able to resume normal operations.

Safe diving, Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom