Options in the South Pacific - Fiji, PNG, Tahiti Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MW1091

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all, we'll be finishing a trip in New Zealand (not diving) early April 2024. Found out we'll have some unexpected additional time before coming back to reality, specifically an extra 7-8 days. We're thinking of using the week to dive somewhere in the South Pacific - Fiji, Tonga, Tahiti, New Caledonia, PNG, Samoa etc. Partially this is driven by flights and connections (our first thought was Lembah or Philippines but flights from NZ to these destinations are 3-4x the cost of getting to Fiji for example, and even worse for the leg heading back to the USA).

We're looking for some guidance on locations in the south pacific with solid diving, probably not a liveaboard since they're likely all sold out by now and we'd like to mix in a day or two of birdwatching / hiking. There are so many options for diving in the south pacific we're finding it is hard to compare and island hopping is probably not feasible with our short time. Bonus points for good Macro/Muck sites.

Fiji’s great, and close to NZ, excellent reefs but not so mucky. We met people who were flying Fiji Airways from the U.S. to NZ, with an an extended “layover” in Fiji. And right now, the liveaboard NAI’A is showing availability on the April 3-13 sailing—longer than your window, but if you could make that work, it’s an outstanding experience. Bali, of course, for world-class muck, but heading in the wrong direction. PNG is a hard trip, lots of flight delays and, right now, significant unrest.

indonesia should be considered. good macro and pretty cheap, downside is its a bit of a detour although flights to bali should be reasonable.

palau has good macro, but the flight cost is probably a non-starter.

fiji is not the best for macro, but is convenient on way back from NZ to US.

Hello all, we'll be finishing a trip in New Zealand (not diving) early April 2024. Found out we'll have some unexpected additional time before coming back to reality, specifically an extra 7-8 days. We're thinking of using the week to dive somewhere in the South Pacific - Fiji, Tonga, Tahiti, New Caledonia, PNG, Samoa etc. Partially this is driven by flights and connections (our first thought was Lembah or Philippines but flights from NZ to these destinations are 3-4x the cost of getting to Fiji for example, and even worse for the leg heading back to the USA).

We're looking for some guidance on locations in the south pacific with solid diving, probably not a liveaboard since they're likely all sold out by now and we'd like to mix in a day or two of birdwatching / hiking. There are so many options for diving in the south pacific we're finding it is hard to compare and island hopping is probably not feasible with our short time. Bonus points for good Macro/Muck sites.
Fiji for sure, given everything you have stated with your time constraints and the cost. It will maximize your time in the water for diving and will be a great experience. If you want any suggestions, feel free to message me.

Fiji for sure, given everything you have stated with your time constraints and the cost. It will maximize your time in the water for diving and will be a great experience. If you want any suggestions, feel free to message me.
Thanks all for the tips, after looking some more I think we pretty much settled on Fiji, it does seem like the most logistically straightforward with good options for diving. Indo would be our first choice but we're heading there in 8 months and will make a stop in Lembah to scratch the macro itch.

For stays in Fiji we're between Paradise Tavenui, which it seems like many people have enjoyed, and Nakia which seems less dive focused but also less expensive. Would love to hear some first hand experience as we're deciding between the two.

For stays in Fiji we're between Paradise Tavenui, which it seems like many people have enjoyed, and Nakia which seems less dive focused but also less expensive. Would love to hear some first hand experience as we're deciding between the two.

I gather you've ruled out Volivoli. FWIW, it's a lovely resort with good access to the Bligh Waters, with solid boats and an excellent dive operation. In addition to good diving, it's an easy drive from the Nadi airport, and is a lovely place.

I gather you've ruled out Volivoli. FWIW, it's a lovely resort with good access to the Bligh Waters, with solid boats and an excellent dive operation. In addition to good diving, it's an easy drive from the Nadi airport, and is a lovely place.
Agreed - great resort and the Biigh Waters are fantastic based on video/pics from friends who actually got out to dive them (I, unfortunately, got blown out and we only got to close by sites when I was there for 4 days after 10 days in Taveuni back in August 2022). It's an easy ride from Nadi but it's ~2.5 - 3hours, so quite long!

Thanks all for the tips, after looking some more I think we pretty much settled on Fiji, it does seem like the most logistically straightforward with good options for diving. Indo would be our first choice but we're heading there in 8 months and will make a stop in Lembah to scratch the macro itch.

I dove with an experienced diving couple in Volivoli that had stayed at Nakia and loved it. They dove with Taveuni Water Sports and it was seamless. I stayed at Paradise Taveuni and absolutely loved it - it was a very special place and I plan to return!

Nakia puts you close to the Rainbow Reef sites which is a plus - but Paradise dives RR too and can also dive at Vuna Reef to the south which was as good or maybe even better!

I stayed at Paradise Taveuni and absolutely loved it - it was a very special place and I plan to return!
We obviously have to go back to Fiji. It's almost worth it for the music alone.

Vanuatu is a short flight from NZ, as is New Caledonia. Both have excellent diving.

Back
Top Bottom