The Bare Bones of Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....... What would you like to see covered in the next one?

The DVD I picked up at the UCF seminar was excellent!

Just my guess, but the next in the series would be to move to the next level up so beginning spearo(a)'s see how some of the veteran hunters go about it. For example:

*) Dan MacMahon - Commercial spearo and record holder. He takes it to the extreme and dives tri-mix putting fish on the boat never seen before. His deep water spearing would enlighten many hunters looking to go deeper and what's involved.

*) John Dickinson - Owner of 'Shark Tales' in West Palm. Want to learn how to shoot cobia off the backs of 500 pound bull sharks and still get them in the cooler untouched? This is the team that does it week in and week out.

*) Sheri Daye - World record champion who's unique skill of seeing just past the edge of visibility to locate fish and where they hole up. She is the queen of stalking and has the hardware to prove it.

*) Chad Phalen - One of the best freediving spearos on the east coast. Not many can say they pay the bills with it, but he can.

*) Randy Jordan - Owner of the Emerald. Randy has more history and experience of spearfishing with Bulls, Lemons, Reefies, Dusky's and more sharks that any spearo I know of in Florida.

There are plenty more who prefer to keep a lower profile, but they are equally talented and I've learned so much from. It's quadrupled my experience, learning from them and others on techniques and small crucial items that make the difference from bring skunked to bringing your skills to an entirely new level.

I doubt you will get most of us to give up our lobster hunting secrets, but one other area you may wish to explore that always gets tons of questions is the different types of spearguns on the market. It's like golf clubs and not one single gun is best for all types of diving. Different guns are needed for different types of diving. This is probably the number one question from new spearo's. "What gun should I buy ? " It would take a whole hour just to explain what's what. Chad Carney has the best experience on Scubaboard.

Best of luck with your new projects and I look forward to see them, fresh water or salt water !!

I have no specific suggestions for the next DVD, but I'm sure it will be well done and look forward to it!

The DVD I picked up at the UCF seminar was excellent!

Just my guess, but the next in the series would be to move to the next level up so beginning spearo(a)'s see how some of the veteran hunters go about it. For example:

*) Dan MacMahon - Commercial spearo and record holder. He takes it to the extreme and dives tri-mix putting fish on the boat never seen before. His deep water spearing would enlighten many hunters looking to go deeper and what's involved.

*) John Dickinson - Owner of 'Shark Tales' in West Palm. Want to learn how to shoot cobia off the backs of 500 pound bull sharks and still get them in the cooler untouched? This is the team that does it week in and week out.

*) Sheri Daye - World record champion who's unique skill of seeing just past the edge of visibility to locate fish and where they hole up. She is the queen of stalking and has the hardware to prove it.

*) Chad Phalen - One of the best freediving spearos on the east coast. Not many can say they pay the bills with it, but he can.

*) Randy Jordan - Owner of the Emerald. Randy has more history and experience of spearfishing with Bulls, Lemons, Reefies, Dusky's and more sharks that any spearo I know of in Florida.

There are plenty more who prefer to keep a lower profile, but they are equally talented and I've learned so much from. It's quadrupled my experience, learning from them and others on techniques and small crucial items that make the difference from bring skunked to bringing your skills to an entirely new level.

I doubt you will get most of us to give up our lobster hunting secrets, but one other area you may wish to explore that always gets tons of questions is the different types of spearguns on the market. It's like golf clubs and not one single gun is best for all types of diving. Different guns are needed for different types of diving. This is probably the number one question from new spearo's. "What gun should I buy ? " It would take a whole hour just to explain what's what. Chad Carney has the best experience on Scubaboard.

Best of luck with your new projects and I look forward to see them, fresh water or salt water !!

Wow thank you so much! That's exactly the type of input I was hoping to get! I know several of the people you listed and I think your right, they would all contribute to an advanced DVD in an area their area of expertise. I was hoping to add lobstering to the first DVD but it wasn't season when we were shooting it.

Any other specific rigging techniques or tips/tricks you'd like to see? I like focusing on Cobia, they are a tough fish to shoot.

No cobia are stupid, curious and easy to shoot. Now landing them, that is another story.

....... they would all contribute to an advanced DVD in an area their area of expertise........

Don't take this the wrong way Becky, but they may not know your background and think you are shooting with a GoPro HD to put on YouTube. The caliber of people listed above may not give you 2 minutes on a phone call. You would need show them the thousands and thousands of equipment dollars along with your television and post-production experience to get their attention, like you did with us at UCF.

Most of the names will be at the Blue Wild expo in Ft. Lauderdale the 1st weekend in June. Chad Carney from this forum has posted details and knows most of the people. You might want to attend it and make some appointments to talk with several of the people before you get there.

On the subject of Cobia, never shoot them on top of the head and always wait until they just barely turn away from you before nailing them. Then you have about 30 seconds to lift bag them to the surface before the circling bulls will come in for the fight. It's a high energy fight that is nothing like the gulf side.

Watched the DVD over the weekend and throughly enjoyed it. It was an excellent video for a first timer. I wish I'd watched it before I made my first spearing trip and before I bought a gun. Customer service was also excellent with good communication and quick shipping.

Now, all we need is a Volume 2 that's all about killing BIG FISH!

Thanks!!

Get on one of the East Coast commercial boats to see freeshafting big fish done on a scale no one matches.
Follow Jason Wetmore,GR Tarr and Cam Kirkconnell anywhere they go you'll get footage and skills unmatched in freediving.

Dear Becky:
I just browsed your website and was most impressed . I love spearfishing . However these days I am into free diving and would like to create a free diving video that I could market on my website that is devoted to the Virgin Islands . Perhaps we could discuss this option and the requirements in the not too distant future . I would like to hear from you about a joint venture project on blue water hunting in the U.S.V.I. Before I forget congratulations on your long awaited completion of this project.

sincerely,

lobsta john:D

Bought the video as a birthday present for my brother- watched it last night and was really impressed with the videography. So yeah, I'd buy a sequel :)

Just ordered a copy. Wish I'd had this when I started spearfishing, but it still looks like a fun vid and a way to pick up some tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom