Some days are just magic Dive report 7-4-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did 2 dives at Halfway rock on the 3th. The weather was perfect as was the water conditions. On the way out we responded to a distress call from the Ferry MA. The ferry had been run aground with the bow almost completly underwater! Turns out the ferry wasn't sinking and the USCG got everyone off.

Before the 1st dive we spotted a seal sunnning itself on the rocks!
We got into the water and desended to 60fsw the temp there was 41F vis 15-20ft after 15 min or so I couldn't take the cold, (diving wet) and we ascended to 30 ft where it was a balmy 54F.
Saw a lot of small bugs, a couple of good size togs a dogfish all different sizes and colors of sea stars, urchins were everywhere and schools of small bait fish swam past regularly.

We surfaced after about 45 min right at the rock. My buddy told me the seal was on a rock behind me. There he was laying there cool as can be just watching us. I tried to get myself braced to take a couple of pictures when a surge carried me to within arms reach of the seal! He didn't bat an eye! He just stared at me. I snapped a couple of quick pics and talked to him for few seconds,then I caught a return surge out and relished the moment. All the years I've been diving this was a 1st for me!

The second dive was short and shallow we swam around the rock staying above 30fsw, spectacular dive site!

Here are the pictures. Can anyone ID the creature in pic#3 HWR ellfish 7-4-10? The seal is a cute little guy isn't he? The Ferry has had better days, no whale watching today folks!

Attachments

• Seal 07-04-10 halfwayrock.jpg
    Seal 07-04-10 halfwayrock.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Seal 7-04-10 halfwayrock.jpg
    Seal 7-04-10 halfwayrock.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 80
  • HWR ellfish 7-4-2010.jpg
    HWR ellfish 7-4-2010.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Ferry MA 7-4-10.jpg
    Ferry MA 7-4-10.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Very good. What did he say?
Big, aren't they.

Very good. What did he say?
Big, aren't they.

Nothing he just stared. No he looked like a young pup still had light colored fur. I'll post some pics when I get home, I'm at work right now.

We had a lot of seals here in CT this year. I'd expect more in the years to come.

Neat story; now post those close ups.:popcorn:

Nice report, pix?

Pix added check OP #1

Awesome pics. This is what getting out and doing some simple New England diving is all about.

You most likely didn't go out specifically searching for seals yet they appeared when least expected; that sweetens the deal. Some of my best dives have been when just going for pot look critters and not something specific.

Thanks for sharing

Awesome pics. This is what getting out and doing some simple New England diving is all about.

You most likely didn't go out specifically searching for seals yet they appeared when least expected; that sweetens the deal. Some of my best dives have been when just going for pot look critters and not something specific.

Thanks for sharing

I had told my wife more than 1/2 joking that if she came along (topside support and boat tender) she may get to see some seals. I thought they'd all be up north by now.
This one looks young like it may have lost it's mother and doesn't know he belongs further north. She was as excited as I if not more so.

Great dives Jordan! We'll do it again soon.

Thanks Matt, I didn't know if it was ok to include you in my post we hadn't talked about it. This was our 1st dive together. We both took a chance on each other and things worked out great. Matt is an excellent boat handler,captain and a very competent and confident diver. It was my wife's and my great pleasure to have met and spent the day with him. Thanks again Matt! Here's to many more hours of under and above water adventures.

Back
Top Bottom