Vis is great here in Jacksonville!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds great... helps you see all the sharks (if they are still around). I spent a few years of my youth growing up in 1950s Atlantic and Neptune Beaches but was too young to do any diving back in that era.

Sounds nice! I just emailed you about this Saturday.

That sounds great... helps you see all the sharks (if they are still around). I spent a few years of my youth growing up in 1950s Atlantic and Neptune Beaches but was too young to do any diving back in that era.
You know....that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title of the thread!

I'm diving 31 years, I'm not into "hype" - but I can't get the image of migrating great whites off Jacksonville out of my mind.

Before anyone takes any shots - yes, I know we are much more likely to be killed by lightning, in a car, bathtub, driving, and 100 other ways; as well the chance of seeing one is small - just something I think about when I hear about diving off Jacksonville!

Yep, it's the ignorant "shark hype" that keeps new divers out of the water and gives the sharks a bad name.
I've been diving here in Jax and all of offshore Georgia including Grays Reef ( Right Whale calving grounds ) for 25 years and I have never seen a great white here. Neither has our captain who has been diving here for 50 years.
The whites do follow the whales during their winter migration/calving hoping for a easy meal. Maybe thats why none of us who are in the water all the time never have seen one. I'll post pictures if I ever do as that would be cool!:cool2:

2500+ dives outta Jax.Saw 1 Great White u/w.I backdove a spot my buddy had just spearfished in 100' during the winter.I see far more sharks from Canaveral to Miami and Charleston North.Savannah to Daytona I see about as many as in my 1500+dives in the Keys.

There are far more opportunities in Jax to see large animals than ANYWHERE on the East Coast.

stingrays,mantas,eagle rays,cobia,amberjack,right whale(also once u/w)pilot whale,whale shark,all the varieties of other shark,mola mola,jewfish,billfish,tuna,all the varieties of dolphin/porpoise etc... 90% of dives you'll see at least one of these species and often several.

Yup, VERY TRUE and unlike the other parts of Florida that get POUNDED by divers everyday........ we have lobster that make the lobster in the rest of the state look like crayfish.:cool2:
I too have seen the large Manta's , WHALE SHARKS and Right whales here
atlantic_pro_divers_jacksonville_savannah_lobster.jpg

Last edited:
OKAY...I really need to dive here in my own backyard! I have been a chicken too...I was concerned about the currents, vis and of course the great whites...We saw a big shark in December eat a bird about 10 miles offshore...not sure if it was a great white...but it was really big and loud as it snatched that bird!

Did my first offshore Jax dive on the 10th of this month, really really amazing! Two dives on the Tug Powerful and one on the EF Culverts. On the tug we easily had 50+ viz. At the culverts saw the largest stingray (for me..) ever, easily 7 ft across and 8 in length.

Looking forward to booking my next offshore Jax!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom