Snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
Well...

Looking over the equipment requirements for the DR 1 class, I need to pick up a PFD and a snorkel. The PFD part should be taken care of thanks to Forum members input. However, I still need a snorkel. Tossed mine right after my C card; everyone else I was diving with were tech and no one used them.

Is there anything in particular I should look at for a snorkel for PSD work?

Same question for the knife that goes on the working PFD.

Thanks!

Leam

Last edited:
The smart guy in me wants to say it is a pita around the comms earpieces and hard to mate to a spider (AGA harness)... but I would not get rid of that snorkel quite yet.

It is a tool, and it serves a place. We had a state-wide amber alert, in rescue mode looking for a toddler in a farm pond. We had limited divers and tenders, so using a backup mask and a snorkel from my gear bag was a quick and efficient way to focus on the shallows around the edge of the pond and fill in any dead zones from arc patterns. Turned out to be a great day, the girl was found alive on land and had not gone into the water.

I have a small black frameless mask as a backup, and a simple old black snorkel (bottom purge). The spearfishing/ photography crowds steer toward black since it helps keep their visual focus over a clear mask. If you mostly dive fresh water, skip the gimmicks for the "dry" snorkels.

I think a knife/ cutting device on a pfd is a must. You won't appreciate it until it is needed. I'd suggest something in a blunt tip, McNett's has some decent stuff and it stays in the sheath without falling out. We also use the old figure 8 style snorkel holders under the sheath and over the knife handle to help keep it stowed.

Tech divers are in the recreational community, and you can't compare it to PSD. I think some of the lit and concepts are great (Fund. of better diving), but I steal and borrow ideas for what fits from all over.

A teammate of mine was pretty hard core into the florida rebreather community, he may chime in on the tech philosophy and its application to psd.

Asking a teammate what they use and would they buy it again is always a good start!

John Ski

Last edited:
well hears an article i came across while back :
Can't be bothered to use your Snorkel? A dive boat operator finds fewer divers carrying this basic piece of equipment...
The snorkel. It’s been around forever - we all know what it is, heck, we have to buy one when we take dive lessons. I have a question - what’s happening to you divers out there? Why am I seeing more and more divers on our boat sans snorkel?
You say you don’t need a snorkel. It gets in the way; it tangles your hair. Think again. Think about why you were trained to use it in the first place. Forgot?
Recently, we took the usual complement of divers out on our boat, which my husband Dave and I operate out of Cape Hatteras, NC. This is open ocean mid-Atlantic wreck diving. Unlike the calm, bath-like water conditions Caribbean divers enjoy, these waters can challenge a diver’s training and skills. You may be able to get away with those giant stride entries off the boat in Grand Cayman and sometimes you can even do that in Hatteras; however, when a surface current is running, that giant stride that places you three feet from the boat can cause you to drift downstream in very short order. You have to use the anchor line system, trust us.
Diving in currents requires some thoughtful consideration. In our pre-dive briefing we include instructions on what to do if you can’t locate the anchor line toward the end of your dive. Without going into grueling detail, given that there are surface currents, a good strategy in the absence of an “up” line is to swim into the current until you surface, locate the boat - which should be close by, swim to the boat, then do your safety hang under the boat on our weighted line. A hang regulator is attached to a full tank and suspended from a thirty-foot hose, if you need the extra air. If you need help we’re right there.
Two divers, for whatever reason, did not use the anchor line to ascend. Doing a ascent without a guideline, they stopped at ten feet to do their safety hang. Had there been no current, it wouldn’t have been a problem. But there was a current, and it became a problem. Checking his watch after thirty minutes, Dave started monitoring the anchor line for the tell tale bubbles of ascending divers. Gee, it’s been a while, he observed, they should be on the line at this point.
We scanned the water around the boat. Looking behind us, we saw two heads the size of coconuts drifting downstream. No apparent effort was being made by the divers to swim to the buoyed tag line trailing about two hundred feet from the back of our boat. It was clear that we had to pull the anchor and retrieve our divers. Suited up and ready, I descended the anchor line and passed the last ascending diver. I popped the anchor line, ascended, and we quickly pulled in all lines, started the engine, and headed out toward our divers - now almost a half mile away.
As we approached them I noticed something: neither diver had a snorkel. Later we found out that one diver was out of air.
Of course, they couldn’t swim to the tag line; without air in your tank and no snorkel to breathe through, swimming becomes a significant effort. Unable to submerge your face, you’re left with doing some kind of a fin stroke on your back and then flipping around to make sure you’re headed in the right direction; it’s tiring and it takes a while. But if you had a snorkel - c’mon it’s so easy. I don’t understand why this piece of equipment, which all divers have to buy anyway, isn’t attached to your mask like it should be when you are diving.
I have been diving a long time. I know how easy it is to make some minor trade-offs. But this snorkel thing - it’s a no-brainer. Think beyond the immediate inconvenience, if it really is an inconvenience, and consider the broader picture. This little piece of plastic that you are trained to wear is there for a reason, and a very good reason. If you don't have one and have to spend some time floating in the ocean you will be in a great deal of trouble just trying to keep your head above the water to breath. Not having a snorkel might just have a serious cost.
It must have been awful lonely out there for those two divers last weekend. I suspect next time they come aboard our boat, if they do, I will see snorkels attached to their masks. What about you?

Leam,

As one of the partners at Dive Rescue International I thought your question may raise a lot of nay sayers; I am glad it didn't and I thank vablackwater and medic13 for their responses above.

The snorkel is a valuable tool that should be considered "valuable" by any diver worth his salt. It has a function though it is not 100% applicable with a full face mask. Additionally, with a philosophy that NO DIVER should ever run out of air, it almost seems antiquated, until you read the DAN statistics and read the "Accident" section of the ScubaBoard Forum and see how a snorkel might be a useful tool.

Dive Rescue International (DRI) allows public safety dive teams to make their own risk/benefit decisions but for the sake of our training programs, we believe that ALL students should have the benefit of all safety equipment to assure the diver's survival.

There are some risks but there are also MANY benefits to having a snorkel.

During our training programs we will encourage you to make risk/benefit decisions and at the conclusion of the DRI program you can determine the pros and cons of diving with and without.

I will also mention that U. S Coast Guard rescue swimmers understand their value of snorkels and they are standard issue and required gear for their type of operation.

Dive Rescue International supports teams making good decisions for their environment and leaves the final decisions up to the team. But for classes, because we don't alway know the environment where the class will be taught, we require snorkels as a minimum piece of worn by each student.

Fraternally,

Blades Robinson

I notice that most divers avoid using a snorkel if at all possible.

Usually when I come up to the dive boat, I wait underwater until the ladder is open and then swim to the ladder.

However, if I am on the surface, I always use the snorkel. I am very comfortable using a snorkel and I always dive with one. If you happen to come up a ways from the boat for whatever reason a snorkel comes in right handy.

Regarding a Snorkel on PSD: There are search patterns that a team can use in clean water or ocean water with good visibility to locate a victim; where you only use your mask, snorkel and fins.
Is a tool that have a place.

The use of a snorkel will depend on where you will be diving. Most of the time the vis is so bad that a snorkel is of little use. In my 26 years as an LE diver I have used a snorkel on one call to search for a weapon in a catch basin that was not very deep and had good vis. You may also use one for surface swimming from one location to another but as a general rule I always have one in the box just in case

Back
Top Bottom