Tech/ doubles reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm currently looking to continue my diver training and get into tech diving. I live in SFL and will probably be starting AN/DP in the next few months once I can find a whole week off of work. I'm trying to get the gear I will need ahead of time so that I'll be ready to start once I can arrange my schedule. It took me a while to decide on a doubles wing, but I found a great deal on a DR Rec EXP wing which kinda decided for me. But I'm getting some analysis paralysis when it comes to regs. I currently dive an SP MK25/S600 with a single tank set up. I'm leaning to sticking with another MK25 since it has the rotating turret and the 5th port for hose routing, but some tech guys I've met down here have recommended looking into DR or Apeks. I don't need a sealed first stage, I have no interest in cold water diving, if it needs more than a 5m, no thanks.
Realistically I may need to actually get 2 regs so that I keep one set for doubles and another for the times I will dice single tanks with my son or other non tech divers. So having an MK25 currently doesn't mean I have to get another one to match for doubles.
Thanks for all the guidance. I have learnt so much here

I would still recommend sealed regs because that gives you room to grow if you do want colder in the future but also they maintain better since crap doesn’t get down in them. Turrets are a huge plus if sidemount diving and a bit of a plus for twinsets. You’ll definitely want DIN connections. There are a lot of robust tec worthy regs on the market these days so you could be happy with about any of them. Look for ones that are serviced by a local shop or that you can service at home. I personally dive HOG regs and think they are an awesome bang for the buck plus you can easily take a class and learn to service them at home.

I'm currently looking to continue my ...
What kind of tech diving are you expecting to do? Looks like you've decided to use back-mounted doubles, in warm or temperate waters. But, deep ocean? Caves and Caverns? Wreck penetrations? (Note: You might not be able to stay warm enough when deco diving in a 5mm jumpsuit in temperate water, depending.)

Purchasing a second SP Mk25 means needing to carry only one type of spares (O-rings, etc.) and tools. And you'll need a regulator for each deco cylinder. Another--a third--SP Mk 25 would work for a single deco cylinder.

ETA: Nothing at all wrong with diving SP Mk 10's on low-pressure (i.e. 2,250 + 10%, 2,400 + 10%, or 3,000 psig) cylinders. This is what I use. (I purchased mine new ca. 1987.)

rx7diver

Reactions: dnh
Just get another MK25/600 (or some sort of 2nd stage variant) setup and the hoses and call it good.

MK25 is one of the best regs on the market, and also one of the most widely used regs around the world if you ever travel (no issues finding service and parts)

Tech regs will need to be DIN. If your current reg is yoke, you'll need a conversion (not an adapter). At minimum, you're looking at 2 more first stages and another second stage since you need a deco reg. If you don't convert your yoke, you'll need 3 additional first stages. You may be able to get by with that for dives to 200ish ft, but that also leaves you with no spare if you have an issue before splashing.

My point is, the tech path will need a number of regs, and certainly standardizing is useful. Were I to do things over again, the Deep 6 Signature line is pretty attractive. I haven't dived them, but I respect the opinion of some who have. The price & service policy is excellent.

I was in the same situation as you, having started out with Scubapros (MK17s and MK25s with G260s), and faced the same conundrum when I had to purchase more regs for technical dives.

I've considered almost every reg under the sun (mainstream ones such as SP, Apeks, Poseidon, Halcyon, XDeep, Tecline, Atomic, Mares, Zeagle, ScubaForce, HOG, Deep6 etc to the less known Chinese/Taiwan brands like Akuana, Kamaqua, IST, Aquatec), and long story short, I decided not to go on with Scubapros (or any other brand for that matter0, and instead go with the Deep 6 signature line.

My reasons are, amongst others:

(a) Scubapro regs are expensive (a substantive part of which is for marketing like all other big name brands), and I could literally get 2 Deep6 regs for the price of one SP reg. As I will definitely be buying more regs for stage and deco tanks in the future (if I were to continue down the tech route), I've decided to slowly phase out Scubapro regs for my tech diving and use them for rec diving only while I accumulate Deep6 regs for tech purposes.

(b) Deep6 is generally more supportive of owners servicing their own regs (they have the service manual online, there are courses available, service kits can be sold to non-dealers, and they are responsive to inquiries), and that aligns more with my preference to service my own regs. Caveat is that I have access to Deep6 service kits at my location, but even if you dont have, that can probably be mitigated by requesting for extra service kits when purchasing. In the meantime, there is also a first free service policy so you have up to 4 years to slowly purchase the necessary tools and learn how to service your regs. The same cannot be said for SP as they adopt a dealer-centric approach, and generally do not train and/or share their resources with their dealers.

(c) Deep6 regs are sealed diaphragms (more suited for harsh environments), and are by all accounts (both in my diving circle and on Scubaboard), fantastic regs on par with (if not better than) other name brands, with no known inherent issues. MK25s are great, but they are an unsealed piston design which might cause icing issues, or result in stuff/debris etc being trapped inside the chamber and causing longevity issues. MK17s are sealed, but they do not have a turret. MK19s are sealed and have a swivel turret, but they are much more expensive (in my region) and do not have that long of a track record (they were discontinued for quite a long time previously, and reviews on the current MK19 are scarce).

(d) Customer service and aftersales support of Deep6 are also great, where (as I've heard) they will go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. With SP I believe its hit or miss with their dealers.

(d) the founder of Deep6 is the same person who started the HOG brand. They have had a good track record from a long time ago, and their business model seems to be quite viable. It would be therefore be unlikely that the brand will be discontinued, leaving me with no spare parts/service kits. SP of course also performs great in this aspect, as availability of parts is basically a non-issue.

(e) I like the business model, innovations, and options that Deep6 is bringing to the dive industry, and would like to support such a company.

Just my 2 cents, hope it is of help to you.

Appreciate the replies.
I plan on doing tech dives in warm water mainly, some wreck penetration. Don't think I'm going the cave route just yet.
My current setup is DIN, made the switch from yoke a while ago.
What about Dive Rite regs? XT1 with either XT2 or XT4?

I can set you up with a complete SM set and deco reg. I was a HOG reg tech instructor and Deep Six reg tech instructor. These are my personal regs and are fully serviced.
For Sale - HOG Sidemount reg set -complete w/O2 clean deco reg $750 for all
They've had one 90 minute dive on them since I serviced them this summer.
They also come with a 1st stage kit for each reg. Second stage kits can be had through Piranha Dive or any HOG dealer.
This is roughly $1500 worth of regs for 750 plus shipping. I'm not diving enough to warrant keeping them.

Were I to do things over again, the Deep 6 Signature line is pretty attractive. I haven't dived them, but I respect the opinion of some who have. The price & service policy is excellent.
I do dive Deep6 and they're great. Also, Aqui watersports is right up the road from Miami. The owner of Deep6 is an owner in the shop; they can take care of you.

I'm currently looking to continue my diver training and get into tech diving. I live in SFL and will probably be starting AN/DP in the next few months once I can find a whole week off of work. I'm trying to get the gear I will need ahead of time so that I'll be ready to start once I can arrange my schedule. It took me a while to decide on a doubles wing, but I found a great deal on a DR Rec EXP wing which kinda decided for me. But I'm getting some analysis paralysis when it comes to regs. I currently dive an SP MK25/S600 with a single tank set up. I'm leaning to sticking with another MK25 since it has the rotating turret and the 5th port for hose routing, but some tech guys I've met down here have recommended looking into DR or Apeks. I don't need a sealed first stage, I have no interest in cold water diving, if it needs more than a 5m, no thanks.
Realistically I may need to actually get 2 regs so that I keep one set for doubles and another for the times I will dice single tanks with my son or other non tech divers. So having an MK25 currently doesn't mean I have to get another one to match for doubles.
Thanks for all the guidance. I have learnt so much here
I'll second the recommendation of swinging up the road a bit to Aqui Watersports and talking with @LandonL
You'll have the opportunity to see different regulators from various manufacturers though no different to @RyanT I am quite partial to the Deep6 Signature regulators and I think you'll be quite happy with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom