Question Dedicated reg set for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, most of the assemble/dissemble wear and tear is on the brass threads of the first stage, and 1st stage side hose o-ring, not so much spinning a second stage onto the other end of the hose.

Possible compromise - especially if you're keeping everything in the same family with the same IP requirements - have a set of first stages and hoses for your different configurations, and limit the number of second stages down to 2 or 3, spinning them onto whatever rig you are diving at the moment.

I do something sort of similar, travel with 1st stage in a yoke configuration and have a couple other 1st stages in DIN with 5th port for use back home. After they are cleaned up and dried out, the 1st stages with hoses still attached go back in their own regulator bags, and later just spin on the same few 2nd stages on any of them which takes no more than a moment.

I personally wouldn't stress too much about moving hoses as you're unlikely to be doing it often. While I've been happy with Deep Six, in your case I'd likely grab another MK25 from one of the overseas sources and call it a day.

Yep. I have one for warm water, one for cold, and one for doubles.
And one for doublehose reg.

Funny thing is I really don't like switching to a whole different set of regs or backplate....
there is something warm and fuzzy about the set you dive all the time.

I dive double 72s the most.

Going down south diving aluminum 80s seems almost sketchy...
I just have it in my head, that if everything goes to pieces I want my old faithful rig.

One can never have too many regulators....

think of the possibilities;
  • single tank - wet suit (couple sets)
  • single tank - dry suit
  • single tank travel (warm/salt)
  • doubles - wet suit
  • doubles - dry suit (couple sets)
  • family singles cold water regs (multiple sets)
  • family warm water/travel regs (multiple sets)
  • then the whole double hose thing....
  • then the whole vintage single hose thing.....
It is an illness.....
you are forgetting regs for sidemount. and single tank sidemount. and what about stage and deco regs.

I just swapped stuff back and forth until I started doing a lot of tech, then I ended up with a dedicated set for doubles. Of course, when you start using deco/stage tanks, then you will end up having a dedicated set(s) of deco/stag regulators too. The fun (and money) never ends.

I share my double reg set with my single 12L 300bar cylinder equipped with Y-valve, but I do miss sometimes another 300bar reg set when diving with rented 300bar cylinders.
I do have 2 wings though, double and single setup.

Have a few backplates but I pretty much use the same one for everything- whether it be rebreather with back mounted bailout, open circuit doubles, or single tank wetsuit diving. I don’t bother resizing the backplate when going from drysuit with bulky undergarments to a wetsuit.

Regarding the reg setup, I wouldn’t worry about just switching your my hoses around when going from double to single tank. If you do it frequently enough where it gets cumbersome then maybe you wanna get a second set of regs?

I Have a dedicated set. Otherwise i will be too lazy to dive the doubles.
Make it as easy as possible so you will not be lazy to take them for a spin.

Back
Top Bottom