Question Dedicated reg set for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_one_who_waits

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still fairy new into my diving journey and cannot say with certainty as to what 'kind' of diving I see myself doing more of in the future. However, I am also a new entrant into the DIR/GUE community but do not want to limit my diving to just that for now. I do still want to keep my options open in jumping aboard the occasional recreational/resort dives when the opportunities present. Which now faces me with a decison when it comes to equipment configuration as the former leans more towards diving doubles and latter with single.

I currently am running a SB MK25EVO + S600/R195, and I figured I'd pick up another MK25+S600 (and toss the R195). But I recall how tedious it can be to reconfig the hoses, stages, and plugs. Which I believe subjects the o-rings more wear and tear each time. And then there's me being human and the possiblity of forgetting a port plug, not to mention keeping track of those tiny things.

This led me to the thought of picking up a set solely for doubles and keep my current setup for singles. And after searching through this board, it is especially enticing when I learned that the cost of the favorably-regarded Deep6 signature doubles set would run roughly the same as another MK25+S600.

So, what are all your thoughts on having a:
(a) pair of identical 1sts and 2nds, that can be reconfigured for single and doubles as required?
vs
(b) dedicated set for singles and a dedicated set for doubles?

One can never have too many regulators....

think of the possibilities;
  • single tank - wet suit (couple sets)
  • single tank - dry suit
  • single tank travel (warm/salt)
  • doubles - wet suit
  • doubles - dry suit (couple sets)
  • family singles cold water regs (multiple sets)
  • family warm water/travel regs (multiple sets)
  • then the whole double hose thing....
  • then the whole vintage single hose thing.....
It is an illness.....

It isn't all that difficult or time consuming to switch to move the hoses. I would stick with Scubapro.

Like many others here, I have dedicated sets for the different configurations I dive. I’d rather spend my time diving instead of reconfiguring gear. It’s really your call as to how much work you’re willing to do. I tend towards lazy.

Another vote for dedicated reg sets.

I myself dive a set of doubles with Mk25s and G260s. And I have a single tank setup Mk19 Evo, a G260 primary and an R195 secondary. Both on a long hose / necklace setup.

I'm not sure what your servicing situation is but it often makes sense to stick with one brand.

And don't toss that R195! It will make a great stage/deco reg if you continue down the GUE path and start doing some technical diving.

if your budget allows to purchase the regs needed for dedicated sets, and you are prepared to pay the costs of servicing those regs, then clearly it is more convenient.

if however you are not logging a ton of dives each year, it may be worth the small effort and money savings to only own two sets and make the adjustments when needed.

so for me it comes down to the costs and how much diving you expect to be doing.

One can never have too many regulators....

think of the possibilities;
  • single tank - wet suit (couple sets)
  • single tank - dry suit
  • single tank travel (warm/salt)
  • doubles - wet suit
  • doubles - dry suit (couple sets)
  • family singles cold water regs (multiple sets)
  • family warm water/travel regs (multiple sets)
  • then the whole double hose thing....
  • then the whole vintage single hose thing.....
It is an illness.....

Now the question is about BP&W
One for each?

I had faithfully kept my regulator collection to an approximate 49 [45 in working order plus a couple of GSD and Rose Pro shelf pieces], until last month when one of the LDS closed and I had an opportunity to pick up some more regulators at bargain prices. Through incredible self control, I only purchased an additional 6 regulators [4 in working condition, one to be rebuilt and one for parts]. Already used some of the 'new to me' pieces on a recent trip. Gotta love getting more dive gear. Yes it is a sickness, as Oscar Wilde once said, "I can resist anything, except temptation."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom