Do you have a tech reg and a rec reg setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirt Pineapple

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just converted my Mk25 Evo's to DIN and for a twinset hose layout. That has me wondering, should I use a separate regulator for recreational diving or just reconfigure one of my Mk25s whenever I do a recreational dive? I already have a Mk2 Evo + r195 that I could use for recreational diving that I got for a great price but I'm not sure, I might use that for a deco reg or sell it. I do probably 3x as many rec dives than tech dives a year. Thoughts?

If you are happy reconfiguring your regs each time you go out, then go with that option.
I have a separate first stage with hoses for my recreational setup and I just quickly take off the 2nd stages and throw them onto the hoses. Takes 2 minutes.

I would hold onto the Mk2/R195 as a deco reg for later if thats the way you are going, or even as a bailout reg to take with you for recreational dives.

Its more of a budget/time question rather than a safety one, and that largely depends on you :)

My two rec 1st stages are yoke (and thus mostly dedicated), the rest are DIN. That said, I'm used to swapping hoses between doubles/sidemount/CCR configurations, and I'll often steal the rec second stages for deco or stage bottles. I definitely swap transmitters between rec/tech as needed. ETA: most of my diving is technical, so the rec gear gets assembled for family holiday trips.

I have separate regs for tech and rec diving and SM. I don't mix them. Each has its purpose and I don't want to risk forgetting changing back to other configuration when I am away from my dive locker. It is too much of a pain to keep changing between different configurations.

Tech. equipment is on the left side of the locker and rec is on the right side.

I'm not an instructor, so I've found that I don't dive single tank all that much, making it pretty much a non-issue. If I need to move a couple hoses before I go on a recreational trip in some warm water location it's no big deal. And in some ways, I prefer taking the recently used reg over the one that's been sitting in the closet for a year.

I have never drawn any distinctions between “tech” and “rec” regulators, and have used all of mine, interchangeably, for every purpose, from the ice to the tropics, without fail . . .

swapping everything around is a PITA, so we have separate sets for everything. Between the wife and I, we have 2 doubles regsets, 2 single tank regsets, and a spare single tank setup we take travelling with us.

We have tech, rec, and travel regs. Can't have too many.

I have a separate tub in which I store my single-tank BP/W, yoke regs, wetsuit, fins--everything for my tropical rec diving trips. The cave diving stuff is strewn everywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom