Question Skipping 1st stage Maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have run into a dilemma - I had the dual-drive inline adjuster (SKU: 20-500-200) in mind but due to a mixup I ended up ordering the Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool (SKU: 20-550-200) instead - as they look quiet similar. I realised my mistake after my package got delivered today. That’s $77+42% tax wasted and I still don’t have the tool I wanted originally … 😩😫 … It was a purely stupid mistake on my part because I didn’t cross-check the shopping cart item SKU against my spreadsheet shortlist during the final checkout activity when I made that error. Now I am stuck as the shipping is a whopping $80 one way for a tiny 220gm parcel (that too after discount), so a return exchange is not an option.

I take it that this tool is of no use with the newer S600 and C370, based on an old thread here Scubapro G500 Balanced Tool? Sigh!

Old sschool trick -- blow through the inlet to check adjustment. Keep turning the orifice in small increments until you can't blow through. (Depress the lever when adjustinng.)

But the inline adjuster is much more simple.

Right that’s what I will do for now. I was just lamenting my wasteful mistake…

Well if you come across G250HP or the older S600/G500 you’re all set, good systems that require this tool to tune. You’ll still want the other one.

On the bright side you can still run across the Regs that need this pneumatic adjuster for some pretty low prices, when tuned they perform very well.

Okay, I’m to page 4 of this thread, and I have a question. You say you “soak” your regulators in freshwater before heading out. Do you, when you soak the regulator, ensure that the yoke plug is fitted to the HP opening, and with an O-ring seal? Water, even freshwater, should never be allowed to enter the regulator, at all.

Also, do not use the purge valve on the second stage when soaking the regulator. Doing so allows freshwater behind the seat and into the hose, potentially going to the first stage.

SeaRat

Okay, I’m to page 4 of this thread, and I have a question. You say you “soak” your regulators in freshwater before heading out. Do you, when you soak the regulator, ensure that the yoke plug is fitted to the HP opening, and with an O-ring seal? Water, even freshwater, should never be allowed to enter the regulator, at all.

Also, do not use the purge valve on the second stage when soaking the regulator. Doing so allows freshwater behind the seat and into the hose, potentially going to the first stage.

SeaRat
My regs are DIN. I use the cap/plug that comes with it and soak the regs - after the diving trip is over. On many trips the soak tank on the boat is small and there is no option to soak them pressurised with everyone’s gear taking up space.

And yeah by the time you read this last page - my Magnahelic arrives from Dwyer USA this week and I plan to build a custom VESA mountable quick-release face-plate for the pressure gauges at a local woodworking workshop and setup a complete scuba technicians workbench by the beginning of next month. All other tools are in place.

A new hobby all thanks to the inspiration from the experts on this forum.

I always soak my regs unpressurized.
:stirpot:

I really do.
In my motel, I can't bring the tank with me from the dive shop whose boats I'm using.
At home, have lots of tanks, but it's way too much trouble. Also unnecessary, IMHO.
And yes, half the time I've got Atomics in the sink with a second stage valve that is open due to the seat saver feature.

How can I possibly do that?

I always soak my regs unpressurized.
:stirpot:

I really do.
In my motel, I can't bring the tank with me from the dive shop whose boats I'm using.
At home, have lots of tanks, but it's way too much trouble. Also unnecessary, IMHO.
And yes, half the time I've got Atomics in the sink with a second stage valve that is open due to the seat saver feature.

How can I possibly do that?
Now I am genuinely curious - Are you hanging the Atomics regs down from the hose while dipping the regs in water? So that the water never travels up the waterline…?
Or are you pressuring the regs immediately after soaking and blowing out air through the hoses by purging to clear out the water?

Now I am genuinely curious - Are you hanging the Atomics regs down from the hose while dipping the regs in water? So that the water never travels up the waterline…?
Or are you pressuring the regs immediately after soaking and blowing out air through the hoses by purging to clear out the water?
The threat of water traveling all the way up the hose and into the 1st stage is not that realistic as long as you’re reasonably careful to not let the 2nd stage be significantly deeper that the 1st stage. Water would have to displace the air in the hose. I suppose you could even just make a little ‘trap’ by looping the hose up so water would have to travel up and through the trap to get to the 1st stage.

Two caveats, first I’ve never owned atomic rigs or any that have a seat saver feature, so I’m not an expert, and second, I do like to dry out my regs by hooking them up to a tank and purging some air through them after soaking.

Back
Top Bottom