What is in your BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious why you would take mask defog with you underwater. How could you possibly use it? Or is there some kind of mask defog product that can be used underwater? If you are talking about regular ol' mask defogger, why take it with you in your BC? It's not like you can use it while you're on the dive...

...also volunteer to students when they wash theirs off of their mask. My primary dive site is murder on defog.

It depends on the dive.

If I am diving dry, I don't use a pocket on my BP/W at all, I use my drysuit pockets, which are more streamlined.

OK, here's how I configure.

Open Water Ocean, Wet: backup bottom timer, fold up snorkel (as needed). I wrist mount all my instruments, my backup light is attached to my harness webbing, and my SBM is clipped securely between my backplate and pocket so it is streamlined. The SMB is the DAN model that has it's own storage area for whistle, mirror, etc. I have a DIR style sawed off steak knife on my belt.

Open Water Quarry, Wet: absolutely nothing. I don't bother with any backup masks or bottom timer. I am not going that deep in a quarry wet.

Open Water Quarry, Dry: I don't have a pocket on my BP/W (I take it off the rig entirely) but I in my drysuit pockets I carry a backup mask in one pocket, and bottom timer in the other.

Overhead Environment, wet: second backup light, spare mask, second bottom timer.

Overhead Environment, dry: never done it but if I do, I will use my drysuit pockets and carry a spare mask, backup bottom timer, extra light and an extra jump reel.

You did not mean that computer is your plan for a backup computer in the middle of the dive, did you?
If your buddy is carrying a backup computer on her/him that is their backup computer. It is only good for that one diver.

While a good buddy team should have only slight difference in profile, computers allow for longer dive time because they track a multi-level dive profile and calculate your tissue saturation. You might be only 5ft lower than your buddy for only 5 minutes but that changes your profile in the multilevel multiple sample computer tissue saturation model. You can no more switch to that computer in the middle of the dive than I could switch to tables. You could switch to it 24 hrs after it and the computer was out of water.

No, we abort a dive when we have an equipment failure. However, when I wear the backup (I had to be proficient reading it, after all, so I've practiced), there is more difference between the backup and my primary than between his primary and my primary due to algorithm differences between our primaries and the backup. We dive close. On a multidive day, I'd go nowhere near the NDL, but I'd dive the backup. I know that's not What The Book Says, but in my opinion a full 24 hr layoff is excessive caution for people who dive within 15 horizontal feet and less than 5 vertical feet separation.

Safety Sausage, reel, light, whistle, mesh bag, My dive slate broke so I need to get a new one :(,Knife, Sheers,.
:coffee:

Nothing.
There are no pockets on my harnesses (either the one-piece or the Deep Outdoors), and the pockets on the jacket BC I have -- but rarely wear -- are a pain to get into with gloves on. I do have a pocket (OMS, I think) that's supposed to attach to one's waist belt, with an elastic strap to go around the thigh. I've never been able to get comfortable with it and have it stay in place. Perhaps my thigh does not fit the statistical norm?

The usual stuff: knife and shears on waist belt, light attached to d-ring with bolt snap.
Anything else, clipped and tucked.

In my bcd... air.

On my bcd, emt shears, backup light, weight pockets and thigh pocket.

SangP

Nothing in my BC (no pockets). Clipped to D-rings or in suit pockets: two flashlights, SMB+spool, knife, shears, pocket mask, spare mask, slate+pencil.

Have to leave them empty to bring up all the gloves and masks and tools and swimwear and bottles and fins and hats and bits of aeroplane and weights and knives and tank boots and snorkels and fishing gear and bits of boats and torches and sun glasses and divers and shellfish, but no chips.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom