DIY electric snorkel set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davekro

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live on the water. I need to pull Egeria densa weeds in 6' to 15' depths (fresh water). I have been free diving to do it until now, but want to look into an electric snorkel option. The OEM units I've seen are pretty pricey ($1400 to start).

These systems seem pretty simple: 12 volt compressor, inlet air filter, line air filter, 25' to 50' of hose and a regulator. Has anyone made or heard of a DIY home made set up? I do this off my stationary dock and a 12' x 16' dock with a trolling motor (main use is happy hour with neighbors :eek:)

I apologize in advance for this non Scuba question, but you guys would know, if anyone, I'd guess.
Thanks,
Dave

I am looking for (or to make) a 12 volt system. The $1,400 option mentioned above is Sea Breathe. Searching further, I ran across Hookamax for $750. Any experience to share with either of these or other OEM systems? Experience with home made would be even better! :D

Air has to be pretty clean before I'll breathe it, generally. So if it has not been filtered and has been pushed through a shop air compressor, or something else that adds oil, water, crud, etc to the air, I am not game for that.

If I was a certified diver and needed "surface supplied" air at that depth I'd probably just buy a custom long (really long) hose to attach to a first stage running off of rented tanks, probably doubles.

For the dollar cost I'd personnaly keep free diving to clean those weeds out, or hire someone to clean it up for me.

VI

What would be wrong with having a tank strapped to your back? $20 in air should keep you underwater for a long long time.

One thing to consider the air is pumped down to you so it is the same as using compressed air. Not the same as freediving.

So if it shuts down, one does not hold their breath and shoot to the surface.

So thinking about a 12V oilless compressor with filters, a 35' air hose, and regulator.

Interesting idea.

cmbuech,
I LIKE YOUR DOG! :D
A DIY Hookah would definitely be based on an oiless compressor. For me to feel comfortable, I need to learn of specific specs for appropriate air flow rates, +/- 's of tank vs. continuous compressor, air filters (other than simple 40 micron particle filter), etc, etc. I will ask and answer a lot of questions before making a DIY or purchasing an EOM hookah system.
I ordered a $6 'How to build a hookah' CD from EBay. I'll see if that gives me enough info to feel safe in a DIY build.

As far as air from an air compressor vs. the air you bring with you free diving (in your lungs), aren't they the same? The air in my lungs compresses in volume as I dive from 1' to 15'. The only difference using compressed air from a the surface compressor (or a scuba tank?) is that that 'new' or extra air filling my lungs at 15' would, if not exhaling while rising (which I certainly would do), expand to larger than my lungs.

Hmmmmn... So in free diving, I feel the need to hold my nose and exert 'exhale pressure' to relieve the pressure on my ears as I descend. With 'new air' filled lungs at 15', the pressure would be 'outward' as I ascend (and need to be breathed out) . So would I feel that excess pressure on my ears as well?

cmbuech,
I LIKE YOUR DOG! :D
A DIY Hookah would definitely be based on an oiless compressor. For me to feel comfortable, I need to learn of specific specs for appropriate air flow rates, +/- 's of tank vs. continuous compressor, air filters (other than simple 40 micron particle filter), etc, etc. I will ask and answer a lot of questions before making a DIY or purchasing an EOM hookah system.
I ordered a $6 'How to build a hookah' CD from EBay. I'll see if that gives me enough info to feel safe in a DIY build.

As far as air from an air compressor vs. the air you bring with you free diving (in your lungs), aren't they the same? The air in my lungs compresses in volume as I dive from 1' to 15'. The only difference using compressed air from a the surface compressor (or a scuba tank?) is that that 'new' or extra air filling my lungs at 15' would, if not exhaling while rising (which I certainly would do), expand to larger than my lungs.

Hmmmmn... So in free diving, I feel the need to hold my nose and exert 'exhale pressure' to relieve the pressure on my ears as I descend. With 'new air' filled lungs at 15', the pressure would be 'outward' as I ascend (and need to be breathed out) . So would I feel that excess pressure on my ears as well?

In short, whether freediving or diving with surface supplied air; neither have any affect on needing to equalize your ears/sinus cavities. You would not feel excess pressure on your ears while ascending unless you had a condition known as a "reverse block," where your ears are incapable of equalizing and expelling the expanding air as your ascend.

If you're freediving to do this task already, you should be pretty good on air. I can get about an hour and forty mins at 30", take that time and add some due to the pressure change and you can get around 2 hours out of a tank. I wouldn't recommend a surface fed device of any kind especially if my life depended on this. That's almost the same as someone bringing another person down on an alternate air source. All fine and dandy when it works right but what if it fails. Your first instinct will be to hold your breath. Add the pressure change and now your lungs can get over-expanded. Just food for thought.

For the cost of even the $750 unit, you can take an Open Water certification class, buy some good gear and do everything you want safely and efficiently. A single tank will last a long time at 15'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom