What kind of mask is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Nemrod. Go to a LDS and try on all of the masks that are in your price range. go with the one that is most comfortable. put it on your face and inhale slightly w/o the strap on. it should stay on your face with no leaks. a smaller, lower volume mask will be easier to clear while doing your skills. :)

Like others have said, your best bet is to try on masks and see which fits the best. Having said that, here are some masks that are consistently well-regarded and therefore worth checking out:

Atomic frameless, Atomic subframe, Mares X-vision LiquidSkin, Cressi Big Eyes, Scubapro frameless, Oceanic Shadow.

I don't think any will seal properly however if the skirt folds in on itself.

make sure to have someone spray you in the face with a high-pressure hose to check for leaks.

You don't want that mask. That and the (old) Dacor Vista are the most likely to give you mask squeeze. Seen it too many times on too many faces. Something about the shape causes this to happen more than in other different shaped masks.

I am a novice diver, but I am good at physics. I understand "squeeze" as failure to equalize pressure between the inside and outside of the mask. Unless the mask prevents you from breathing out through your nose and keeps that air from circulating throughout the mask, I can't see how any mask would be more "likely to give you mask squeeze" that any other mask.

Deciphering another squeeze.
To some it is fit. To others it is design manufacture materials.
Suppleness of silicone compounds vary, skirt inner seal angle to acute, bridge under nose horizontal and sharp rather than angled contoured any of which require strap overtightening to obtain initial seal.
Therefore thus etc leaving dents in head. and when blow air out water come in from here or there or somewhere or everywhere etc no can properly seal again.
I read this from the book that is my brain.

It's not gonna do him a lot of good, since his hood is under the top skirt of the mask...
If he is actually a Marine then he's good to go, what with Semper Floodelis and all that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom