Video debriefs - What's your excuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up until fairly recently, Fundies was the lowest level class they offered. They now also have Rec 1 (which from my understanding of the standards is at the same level as Fundies).

BTW, why are you looking for something "lower" than Fundies? At your level of training, it's probably right up your alley.

Seriously? Or do you want to make sure the next local Fundie class has some cheap amusement?

Cool. My uneducated :)D) guess would be that his workshop is kinda like the GUE primer (which isn't really a "class").

Yes, defininetly an eye opener and 'course correction' but not enough time (1/2 day) to go into the finer details.

-----

End Hijack

Thanks to everyone for your valuable suggestions.

Who wudda thunk, that learning how to dive includes an education in detective work and event organizing.

"When the student is ready, the master appears" - Buddhist Proverb

Learning how to dive takes a weekend. Learning how to dive well does indeed take some effort on your part.

Best excuse: Diver - "I have to dive knees down because it's the best way to teach properly."
GUE Instructor - "Why can I teach in proper trim?"
Diver - "..."

Several of us in Florida do, and I hope it inspires divers to get out and expand their horizons...

These are some of the most inspiring threads/posts I can remember seeing on this forum.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/336558-may-15th-flooded-mines.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5447628-post43.html

Have seen some inspiring shots of jungle cenote expeditions down in MX, but don't remember any on this forum.

Someday, I can only hope to have enough skill to do this type of adventure… but for now, learning is still in very much in process :). I’d venture a guess that other newish DIR-F divers on this forum feel the same, and would appreciate more threads/posts like these offering inspiration and providing reminders to us of why we pratice and pratice. Thanks rjack.

but I still yawn a bit when 99% of this forum consists of already answered questions.

IMO it takes courage for many newly interested divers to navigate through the prejudice on the general board and make their first post here. Repetitive or not, patience and kindness from us go along way towards making divers new to this path feel welcome and supported. It was this forums response to my first thread that encouraged me to stick around for all this fun - thanks again :)!

Many of us are busy working on skills with an eye on future adventure. I for one say stop complaining and share your inspiring adventures :D!

Please don't forget that we were all new at some point.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" or a longhose question that's been repeated/answered 1,000 times :)
The Way of Lao-tzu - Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

These are some of the most inspiring threads/posts I can remember seeing on this forum.

I do post up other stuff too (although less than I used to) but I dont see it as specifically "DIR" (it's just diving) so I dont always post in DIR sections.

Also, I guess I mostly post video not long writeups as I rarely got many replies to previous threads (maybe because I didnt put them in DIR section :) so my interest waned a little I think

I do post up other stuff too (although less than I used to) but I dont see it as specifically "DIR" (it's just diving) so I dont always post in DIR sections.

Also, I guess I mostly post video not long writeups as I rarely got many replies to previous threads (maybe because I didnt put them in DIR section :) so my interest waned a little I think

Ooops I guess I should have thanked both you and rjack for sharing the mine adventure. Your video clips are quite inspiring Nick :)! This is another one of my favorites:
http://www.vimeo.com/11908272 Thanks!

I'm not sure # of replies equates interest. # of views is probably a better indicator?

Actually, the West Coast DIR folks post a lot of trip and dive reports, from the Fundamentals level on up, but they don't much do it here. I'm as guilty as anybody -- I tend to post in our little, local forum instead.

Ooops I guess I should have thanked both you and rjack for sharing the mine adventure. Your video clips are quite inspiring Nick :)! This is another one of my favorites:
Cenote "The Pit" (Long Beach Scuba Show) on Vimeo Thanks!

I'm not sure # of replies equates interest. # of views is probably a better indicator?

Maybe I will start to post some better writeups. I guess I just focus less on the "DIR" aspect and more on the diving.

I tend to use this area for DIR-related questions and class-issues....

You seem to misunderstand how GUE courses work. You don't just jump on their website and find a class (unfortunately). Rather, you have to help put one together (and only then does it appear on their website).

Ring (don't e-mail) Ed. He'll chat with you about your current diving and your diving goals, at which point he'll make recommendations for continuing dive education. If you can find a few local divers interested in a class, he might even be willing to travel to Boston; that said, his quarry in CT is about the best possible place to do this type of training.

Give Ed a call.

+1 I took a class with him this past spring. He is a great instructor and I would deffinately recommend calling him. When I'm not on my phone I'll shoot you a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom