Video debriefs - What's your excuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can we agree that this exchange of opinions have lead to some interesting new threads about some really cool dives. Threads which no doubt are much more interesting to the "old timers" than us newbie's banter about Fundies excuses :)

I think it would be nice if in the end this thread and the viewpoints expressed here would lead to a bit more activity in the DIR forum - hopefully with topics to entertain and educate both newbies and old timers.

My latest DIR/GUE epiphany is how selecting the *exact* right bolt snap size makes clipping *so* much easier. More threads of that nature would be useful to me, and agonizingly boring to experienced divers. The advanced dive threads might help keep the old-timers around without keeling over from boredom :D These dive threads might also encourage and inspire me and other newbies to further our skills and training.

I currently don't think I'll be doing "big" dives like that, but the threads *do* make me want to continue to build my skill level.

So ... truce ...?

Henrik

Balance is always good.

Actually, the West Coast DIR folks post a lot of trip and dive reports, from the Fundamentals level on up, but they don't much do it here. I'm as guilty as anybody -- I tend to post in our little, local forum instead.

Why not do both? If you posted it there, it's just a simple copy and paste to add it here...

The reality is those threads over on other boards get way more interest than here (for whatever reasons)...

Why not do both? If you posted it there, it's just a simple copy and paste to add it here...

So this is what DIR has come to. A whole bunch of yakking about how everyone flunked out of the screening course and how to pass the screening course and don't feel bad because you failed the screening course and how to prepare for the screening course and what course would be the best to take for the screening course...

Class reports are interesting to people who haven't taken it and to a few who wax philosphically about their own. My own DIRF was 6(7?) yrs ago and like many people, I have moved on. Its hard to stay engaged in someplace like SB if the vast majority of posters talk about gear & GUEf class.

We all started somewhere. So please give the new guys a chance to be a part of the community instead of bagging on them because all they have so far to share is the first step.

Didn't bag on the new folks. I just said I was tired of reading nothing but DIRF stuff on this forum. Others have agreed and this lead to a couple of threads showing that there is more to DIR than the screening course. Hopefully others that are further along in the system keep it up.

What the new people really need to see is that there is life beyond fundies. That is what drives people to keep going. Too often I've seen people take a DIRF course and end there because with so much emphasis on DIRF they don't know there is anything beyond

I think many of the newer SB DIR divers learn about DIR & equipment from this forum.
So those who are more experienced here automatically become “heroes & mentors.”

Fundies class reports are sort of a celebration which represents a stepping out into the community. Simple congrats and kindness from the “heroes & mentors” can go quite a ways towards helping new divers feel supported/welcome here. And the GUE-F reports & our friendly comments help dispel some of the unfounded prejudice against DIR on the general boards.

I agree that inspiration beyond Fundies is quite helpful and interesting. I’m really enjoying the trip reports/discussion -great idea Brian ;-). But please don’t discount how much positive impact a friendly congrats nod from an accomplished DIR diver can mean to someone fresh out of Fundies, or even someone just curious about this path.

When told of my excessive fin movements with my feet
"I have Restless Leg Syndrome."

The reality is those threads over on other boards get way more interest than here (for whatever reasons)...

Maybe from some... But I actually prefer Lamont, Cave_diver, PfcAJ, even Bob :D (and others of course) to the wacky overmoderation, segmentation and annoying clueless Az TDI contingent of a particular west coast board.

Lol, just commenting on which boards get more (positive) reaction to "DIR" dive reports. Stuff posted here (when it rarely appears) often goes unnoticed (notwithstanding recent posts the past few weeks).

Maybe from some... But I actually prefer Lamont, Cave_diver, PfcAJ, even Bob :D (and others of course) to the wacky overmoderation, segmentation and annoying clueless Az TDI contingent of a particular west coast board.

Lol, just commenting on which boards get more (positive) reaction to "DIR" dive reports. Stuff posted here (when it rarely appears) often goes unnoticed (notwithstanding recent posts the past few weeks).

I don't mind minimal traffic or positive reinforcement if what does get posted is high quality & from people I respect. That last part is key.

Do any of you think this is simply because reports get buried under the avalanche of new posts on a larger board?

Is it because smaller community boards "know each other" and are more likely to comment?

Because there is a larger percentage of like minded people on smaller boards who are drawn to those reports?

Other???

I think it's mostly what you noted above (posts "getting lost" on larger boards, more intimate conversations on smaller boards, self-selecting interests on smaller boards, etc). In general, though, trip reports don't tend to get much response (though often plenty of views) regardless of what board they are posted on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom