Fish Food to use during snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditto on the "don't feed the fish", however, I saw a dive master in tahiti that brings a small mesh bag with him, put his hand inside a move it, a lot of fishes came near the net. It was cool!

I see from your profile that you aren't certified yet. One thing that surprised me on my first ocean dive was the number of fish. Prior to diving, I assumed that I would be lucky to see many fish, because when I went fishing, I wasn't catching a fish with every cast. After learning to dive, I realized there are lots of fish, and they don't usually flee at the sight of divers or snorkelers. In fact, they usually ignore you until you get within two or three feet. I've seen this in warm water (Caribbean and Florida), cold water (Puget Sound), and fresh water (Alexander and Ginnie Springs).

You don't need food, in fact, food will cloud up the water and make your photos worse.

Ron

In the hierarchy of sins we commit against nature, using a natural product as diversteve suggested is well down the list.

I agree that human food is probably not best for the fish.

As a marine biologist, I am also of the opinion that fish feeding is not good.

As for the "natural" product mentioned above, how does one know that the contents of any packaged fish food are natural for the species involved? One attracts many different species when feeding fish.

I think it depends upon the area.

If the area is popular for feeding of fish, fish can be attracted to the area and it can cause an abnormal localized overpopulation of fish which can eat much the plants and marine life off the substrate.

Then what happens when the area is not popular anymore? The fish die off or move because of less food source. The substrate takes a long time to recover.

If spearfishing, some bleed and clean their fish in the water. This attracts fish. Of course it is not a good idea to have bleeding fish where there are large predators that may mistake a person for food. I have shot large perch or rockfish and found a Lingcod hanging out below me attracted to the blood. Abalone guts also attracts fish such as Lingcod and Cabezon in our area. Yeah, don't feed sea lions and harbour seals in our area. They are a pain in the butt. I have a camera mount on my gun. It takes pretty good videos and pics.

I would think any local seafood such as squid, clams, fish, shrimp should work. Best to ask at local store, restaurant, fishing shop, snorkel/dive shop. But it is probably not required to chum for fish where you are going. See how it is first before chumming.

Last edited:
Most "human food" isn't even good for humans.

Don't feed the fish. A "frog clicker" or other repetitive noise will bring them closer sometimes. Best to just keep still...they'll approach you. If you're very calm and dangle fingers a few inches above coral head (but don't touch!) you may get a free nail cleaning.

I'd be careful with a bag of bread---sometimes the fish eat a (big)hunk of your arm instead....Saw that happen---a big grouper , not Wanda, on the Ore Verde on GC in about '92 & the guy did not fly home the next day(we were on the same flight to Houston & he & his wife were no-shows...........hmmm)

I was thinking the same thing Ron said. Which is that you may be surprised at how great it is (even) without feeding fish.

The first time I snorkeled in the tropics (or was in tropical water in any way - I come from freshwater/Great Lakes), I couldn't believe how many fish there were, and how close I could get to them (they basically ignored me unless I moved suddenly and scared them). Also I was pleasantly surprised that you could, say, see a certain fish, go and grab your buddy and bring them over, and.... it would still be there! Yes, I guess they have their neighborhoods and tend to hang around :)

So I would say please don't feed the fish, but just show the kids how if they stay relatively still and observe, the reef and fish will "come to life" in front of them (even more than when they are swimming around). And then they won't associate the kids (and other humans) with food.

Have fun!

Going to Grand Cayman this late Sept... with some kids... what food to use when during some shallow snorkeling to attract fish so as to take some underwater pictures? Advise/ suggestions?

I guess if you must feed the fish - frozen green peas - at least I have heard it won't harm the fish.

Back
Top Bottom