Buddy needed for Mystic Lakes, Arlington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darn !! asking this on my last day here, I would have joined since I lived almost next door to it :( I always wanted to dive them, never found the time though.
Have fun and let us know how it was, I might keep it on my list to do if I ever come back.

Didnt know you could dive them. Any idea about depth/visibility? I wouldnt mind trying possibly; I'm guessing this is why you're exploring them?

Didnt know you could dive them. Any idea about depth/visibility? I wouldnt mind trying possibly; I'm guessing this is why you're exploring them?

The viz from the surface down was excellent the last times I was there. Depth is 70'ish in the Lower and 80'ish in the Upper.

3 miles down the road, in Woburn, is Horn Pond with a depth of 45'.

I think that at least one of these three should be an alternative for getting submerged if the ocean sux (like this week).

I live right next to them, and frequently kayak/swim, but the visibility is usually pretty crappy for diving. Jump in with a mask and fins to check vis before you gear up. Lot of pollen and tannins, and the rain tends to stir up a lot of sediment in the lower lake.

For a quick dry vis check, peek at the mystic river at the Rte 60 bridge. It's been pretty cloudy lately.

Since the heavy rain did not materialize, I will check out Spy Pond, Lower Mystic, Upper Mystic, and Horn Pond tomorrow morning - BT 30 minutes each.

You are not going to let me go buddy-less, or?

Since the heavy rain did not materialize, I will check out Spy Pond, Lower Mystic, Upper Mystic, and Horn Pond tomorrow morning - BT 30 minutes each.

You are not going to let me go buddy-less, or?

Postponed to Monday morning. Please PM if interested.

How'd you make out? Did you try diving there? If so, how was the vis/conditions?

I grew up in Arlington and always wanted to dive Spy Pond. How was it? We grew up with tales of it being bottomless and /or having a quicksand bottom. There was a Mastodon Tusk recovered from the mud there some years ago.

Sorry, I forgot to post the results of my venture into the Lower Mystic Lake in Arlington on 9/7/2010.

Access: Easy with free parking close by.

Visibility:
Great with lot of plants and fish up to about 20 feet. Then a strong thermocline and the water turns into what I would called 'black tea'. Visibility was as low as 2-3 feet in a darkish opaque environment. The bottom is featureless and very silty.

Other experiences:
While descending slowly in a horizontal attitude I recognized the bottom (without using a light) when it was about 2 feet away from my mask. Took a very deep breath and just grazed the muck. The key in this 'no viz' environment is to descend sloooowly.

Personal observation:
If I do not constantly check my heading in this 'dark fog' I will go in a clock-wise circle.

Summary:
A great environment if you want to check or hone your limited viz and navigation skills. Otherwise, an eerie but interesting experience. A little bit like IFR flying at night.

Future plans:
I would like to go there again with other folks and practice team skills. It should be interesting to keep track of your buddies if you cannot see your own fins.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom