Keys vs. Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
From California, a dive holiday in the Keys is about the same price as Cozumel. I have been to the Keys many times but never to dive. I have been to Coz twice and would like like to try somewhere new.

For the time and money, what do you all suggest?

Coz all the way unless you are really into wreck dives. For something new you could do Coz and mix in a day or two at the cenotes.

Definitely Coz..just got back and the reefs are fantastic. Lots of marine life,too.

All great suggestions - I live in Miami and have dove the Keys for over 30 years - I've also gone to Cozumel over 20 times; I think the diving there is excellent and love the ambiance.

You may be late for this season, but June - Sept brings the whale sharks to Isla Holbox, about 3 hours north of Cancun - google it or do a search on this board; tons of info - my point is you can dive Cozumel, and do something really unique on one trip. You can also dive the cenotes; not my thing but many love it.

I've done the whale sharks - WORTH IT - Excellent; and a fraction of the $$$ and hassle factor to see them other places - but note the time of year; going in March you will not see them - but next year.....

You can combine some really neat, unique activities plus superb diving in Cozumel.

OTOH......the best diving in FL is in Jupiter and Boynton Beach IMO - if you wanted, and got a cheap flight, you could do Palm Beach and Key Largo on the same trip -

Should you dive the Keys? Sure, but given the choice of there or Coz - Coz, hands down.

I use to live about a 16 hr drive away from Key Largo, & never went there to dive ! I made many week long Cozumel, Cancun, Akumal , & Isla Mujeres trips & those trips were always cheaper than driving to the Keys for a week.
You may try to hook up with a charter, in Cozumel, that takes you to " special/different " areas , if you are bored with the usual dive sites.

Also try Anthony's key Resort in Roatan Honduras. They are running a 2 for 1 deal through the end of the year.. I just got back and had the best time there again as always.... Price includes all meals, 3 single tank dives per day and 2 night dives on Tues and Thurs night...

You may be late for this season, but June - Sept brings the whale sharks to Isla Holbox, about 3 hours north of Cancun - google it or do a search on this board; tons of info - my point is you can dive Cozumel, and do something really unique on one trip. You can also dive the cenotes; not my thing but many love it..
Did this on my first trip to Coz-what a blast! Reefs, cenotes and whale sharks.

OTOH......the best diving in FL is in Jupiter and Boynton Beach IMO - if you wanted, and got a cheap flight, you could do Palm Beach and Key Largo on the same trip -

This is on my list too, although I had assumed the keys would be better diving. Just better PR? Are the Jupiter, etc. dives shore dives or charter boat dives?

I use to live about a 16 hr drive away from Key Largo, & never went there to dive ! I made many week long Cozumel, Cancun, Akumal , & Isla Mujeres trips & those trips were always cheaper than driving to the Keys for a week.
You may try to hook up with a charter, in Cozumel, that takes you to " special/different " areas , if you are bored with the usual dive sites.

Did you do any local diving when you lived in Florida? What areas did you like?

This is on my list too, although I had assumed the keys would be better diving. Just better PR? Are the Jupiter, etc. dives shore dives or charter boat dives?
"Better" is totally subjective. They are totally different. The Keys tend to be "prettier" and they have some nice wrecks. Jupiter and Boynton tend to be deeper and it is drift diving. I think Palm Beach County diving is more "interesting" than the Keys.

Jupiter and the Keys really don't have shore diving worth the effort. Broward County is pretty much the only place for it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom