Another weekend, another video....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also like to exit from the first T to the wall before the cavern in JB with no fin strokes
I don't even use fin strokes on the way IN at JB! :D

Kidding aside, I do agree with you that using multiple kicks is a skill that many divers (myself included) need to focus more on. It's a safety issue, too, I've noticed when I cramp up on rare occasions that it's nice to have those options.

Kidding aside, I do agree with you that using multiple kicks is a skill that many divers (myself included) need to focus more on. It's a safety issue, too, I've noticed when I cramp up on rare occasions that it's nice to have those options.

I used to dive with one of the "old timers",and he only used modified flutter,and could move pretty fast through all types of cave,and not disturb any silt. At first it was hard to do this for any sustained period of time,but then it became a useful tool. I love modified flutter for the ability to make small angle changes in my ankle,and suddenly change my pitch.

I love modified flutter for the ability to make small angle changes in my ankle,and suddenly change my pitch.

Never thought about that.

So far I've used shuffle to move rapidly without gliding or knocking silt off the walls. It's a lot of fun actually.

I use modified flutter to escape contact, either with the cave or not to fin-slap my buddy. I think it's a bit more silting than shuffle? Otherwise they feel interchangeable.

Modified frog is just for tight passage when the walls close in or when I'm lazy.

I actually did use a shuffle kick at times in that cave, but I'm not sure if UCFDiver caught any of it. A lot of divers only know the frog kick, and see other kicks such as the shuffle kick and ask me later why I would use anything but the "right" kick.... Having watched some of the video I definitely see ways to improve my technique though, and that's one reason I was so glad to end up on video, I haven't been able to see myself diving before this.

This particular cave was dusty enough that there wasn't much you could do to avoid stirring it up. The guy in front of me and the guy behind me are both excellent divers, and I watched both of them (ok, the videographer, not so much...but we did shuffle past each other twice) stir stuff up. Silt on the walls, the ceiling, the floor. Not a good cave fr perfecting video technique, in terms of silt, though it was able to be better lit than huge, clean passage. And some beautiful formations in there! I definitely want to go back!

I have to say, I got halfway through it, but it really didn't look like the third diver was having much fun. I don't mind small, tight, technical sections, but if they never open up to anything where I can see, I begin to wonder why I'm there.

Now James knows how I feel after a long swim in Telford behind him one day.

Now James knows how I feel after a long swim in Telford behind him one day.
Haven't heard from you in MONTHS and you're still a smartass :popcorn:

What have you been up to, long time no see? Still need to make it out by your way to the range. Bryce got a .308 sniper and AR15, and I finally found a .22 pistol and the XD40 I had been lurking for, so new toys to play with!

Haven't heard from you in MONTHS and you're still a smartass :popcorn:

What have you been up to, long time no see? Still need to make it out by your way to the range. Bryce got a .308 sniper and AR15, and I finally found a .22 pistol and the XD40 I had been lurking for, so new toys to play with!

Come anytime, just give me a call and I will meet you there.

Awesome! This video just reinforces for me the need to one day become rich so I can do cave exploration! It would be awesome!!! To bad I don't live near any caves.

trust me, you don't need to be rich to do cave exploration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom