Fun things Newbies do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Earlier this year I was at a quarry descending to a sunken trolley, when at 35 feet I noticed a pair of gloves floating past my face so I grabbed them. Turns out they were mine and I forgot to put them on. I had them tucked in the chest strap of my BC before the dive. Didn't notice I hadn't put them on because the water was so warm, but once I hit 50 feet I would have known because of the thermocline.

I've had a very similar accident while snowboarding. I caught an edge and ate it pretty hard. After I got going again, something caught my eye whizzing by from behind, I didnt know what it was, so I caught up to it and saw it was a wallet. Looked at my pocket real quick and saw the zipper was open and felt no wallet! It's such a bad feeling when u lose a wallet, I couldn't believe I found it, without knowing I lost it, sliding down a mountain. Sooooo lucky!

I have only about 70-80 dives, but I still haven't had any problems yet. Buuut, I did have a pretty funny ::almost:: mishap last week. I was on a small boat heading out for a bullshark dive. I was all geared up and ready to go, and I was being briefed on how to descend right when we got to the spot. The brief was, "on the count of 3, backroll off of the boat and meet at the bottom". As he was saying this, I sat on the ledge to make it easier to put on my weight belt. Right after I locked the buckle on the belt, and as he was still giving that short brief, I started to fall backwards off the boat! I just looked up and extended my hands saying, "pull me pull me pull me...". I was saved and we all started laughing that the plan was on the count of 3! What can I say though, I was very anxious to see the bulls! There were only 3 divers and we counted at least 12 sharks. That was such an awesome dive, Id like to share a post about it soon.

My first time doing a backwards roll from the boat, I heard my wife yell "REGULATOR!!!" Too late at that point.

Rolled off a boat with my mask around my neck. I starting laughing before I hit the water.
Jumped in without my weight pouches.
Jumped in without gloves on.
Went to waters edge and realized my air wasn't on yet.
Tried to losen my mask strap and split it in two.
Rolled off a boat and forgot to secure my flash light, it flew up and hit me in the nose.
Rolled off and had my catch bag get caught on the side of the boat. Made it pretty hard to swim to the anchor line.
Forgot to connect drysuit inflator hose.
Been there when other divers
Jumped in without weight belt secure and watched it sink to the bottom.
Jumped in without fins, gloves, computer, etc...
Forgot to connect bc inflator hose.
Forgot to turn air on.
Jumped in during heavy current, didn't grab tag line and floated away.
Started dive with 300lbs of air, pretty short dive.

Dove in and THEN realized that I was still wearing my glasses, or was until my face hit the water. If anyone spots a fish wearing wire rim glasses in the vicinity of Provo, please call?

OK, so a couple of you have done a giant stride with your snorkel still in;

It was dive number 8 or so. In the Comores on my first dive trip after qualifying. Good dive and handled it all well. Proudly did the 5 meter safety stop with the DM, and then switched to my snorkel when it was time to surface. As I breathed in a mouthful of salt water I realized that this change should only be made after surfacing, not at depth.

While kneeling on the sand bottom at 25fsw while doing my skills assessment for my final open water cert I handed my primary reg to my buddy and reached without looking for my Air2 on my BC. I inadvertently grabbed my snorkel and stuck it in my mouth. Fortunately, I saw the horrified looks on the faces of the others around me and quickly realized my mistake before trying to take a breath...

Caught on camera, as my friend was rolling tape during the dive. It is still amusing and embarrassing to watch.

Recently I was doing a fun shore dive with my dive club and had buddied up with a total newbie when we were at 25 meters he suddenly shot up to the surface no way I could catch him. I ascended camly just to check if he was ok came up asked him if he was. He was he had sucked the tank empty in 15 min. suddenly he cant keep his weight belt anymore and I have to take 20kg. I grab it and no way I can swim with this, don´t use a bc just my drysuit so now im carrying 32 kg of lead and had to descend to 25meters again and walked a kilometer back to shore.
was a fun walk back tho a bit parkour style big boulders and rock walls all the way back. will probably do it again.

Most of the above plus when trying out having my slate on a retractor, I had it attached to a chest d-ring and didn't put it under my arm while doing a giant stride entry. Almost got a bloody nose out of that one when the slate hit me.
OND

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom