Thinking of Moving to the Philippines!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW again, thanks muchly from the OP :wink: When I said I was planning to move over there i didnt mean PERMANENTLY I meant like for a year or so... I dont go anywhere permanently heh heh thanks for the info on visas and some insight into the work situations. Really just wanting to do some diving for work some surfing for fun and hopefully just make a bit of coin to eat really. WE'll see how it all goes. Thanks again!

I myself is plaining to live in the Philippines and work (help) at 3 diving resorts, as a tourist I can not legally work but I can help out. The Philippines are a very poor country, very frendly people but very poor, If you have a pension comming in of at least a 1000 dollars a month you can live like a king there. When I was there a year ago the resort that I stayed at the staff only made 140 dollars a month. yeah, My wife is philippines so when I go over for 7 months out of the year I can get a 1 yr visa because she is philippino other then that It would be only a 21 day visa.
The philippines is a great place to live if you already have a income, many of the dive shops will allow you to help (not work) for just the diving and of couse I get a few beers afterward. If you have any questions about the Phillippines, you can e-mail me at psulion45@yahoo.com

lee

wow....I just do not know what to say after that........

I myself is plaining to live in the Philippines and work (help) at 3 diving resorts, as a tourist I can not legally work but I can help out. The Philippines are a very poor country, very frendly people but very poor, If you have a pension comming in of at least a 1000 dollars a month you can live like a king there. When I was there a year ago the resort that I stayed at the staff only made 140 dollars a month. yeah, My wife is philippines so when I go over for 7 months out of the year I can get a 1 yr visa because she is philippino other then that It would be only a 21 day visa.
The philippines is a great place to live if you already have a income, many of the dive shops will allow you to help (not work) for just the diving and of couse I get a few beers afterward. If you have any questions about the Phillippines, you can e-mail me at psulion45@yahoo.com

lee

$1000 per month won't let you really "live like a king". You could live comfortably near one of the resort areas and walk everywhere and ride buses on big trips to "town". Living like a king....well, I would include a car or two, a nice house, a couple helpers around the house...that's going to cost a bit more than $1000 per month.
The country is a bit poor and the people are friendly.
When I would enter the Philippines with my Filipina wife, I would sometimes, not always, get a balikbayan visa, good for a year. I ended up getting permanent residence status, but that was invalid after I left the country for two years.

You should legally get a work permit or working visa if you're working, or "helping". Even helping, you're most likely taking a job away from a local. No different than illegal aliens crossing into the US and working without papers etc. Or, if you choose not to, I wouldn't advise posting that info on an internet board.

Thank you for the info as far as working papers, I sure want to make this legal, the Resorts didn't tell me that I needed them, I will make sure that I have them since I will be helping the resorts, I guess they can take care of getting my working papers since Im not taking any money from them. When I retire in March I just want to dive in warm water and have fun.

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom