equipment package recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to leisurepro or craigslist. Most LDS will want double the price. I know that leisurepro will warranty all your equipment. I would have literally spent double on my gear from my LDS. Plus, you won't pay any taxes online.

You might be able to find a really good deal on craigslist. I've seen people set full sets of barely used gear for next to nothing.

I would say skip the "Bundled" Sets and spend the money for equipment you want if feasable. Diving here in the NorthEast Waters are not warm so I would go with a reg that suited for Cold waters. Scubapro MK17/G250V is an Awesom Reg and can handle all thrown at it. Breathes great and performs awesome. Also The Atomic M1 both are Top notch regs that will perform. Also Look into Hog regs they cost less than 1/2 of the others mentioned and from what I have heard perform just as good. If purchasing your equipment I also like the Long/Short hose set-up works really well.

BCD - I like Backplate/wings, they give you more fexability and can adapt as your diving grows. You wont need to buy twice which is what everyone would like to avoid.Lots of Brands out there that are really good (Halcyon - DSS - Hollis - OMS- Diverite- HOG)

Computers - are personal depends if you like wrist or console AI or not. They all work well.

Alsways make an effort to try as much as you can before you buy as almost everything will have some sort of differnt feeling to it. Also don't be afriad to search the boards here you can save a lot buying used.

Go to leisurepro or craigslist. Most LDS will want double the price. I know that leisurepro will warranty all your equipment. I would have literally spent double on my gear from my LDS. Plus, you won't pay any taxes online.

You might be able to find a really good deal on craigslist. I've seen people set full sets of barely used gear for next to nothing.

Robbcayman has a good point where an LDS may charge more and sometimes a lot more than the online stores. However one key still remains is that the OP is not familiar with any of the equipment possibilities yet. An online purchase at this point may yield him/her a double purchasing situation due to uneducated equipment choices.

I would recommend that you verify all online store return policies since they may be good with you returning gear without sticking you with stocking fees or in store credit.

It's like anything else -- Research your purchase and then find the best outlet to buy that purchase. Sometimes your final criteria may be cheapest price or it may be a price that is good, but comes with personal service flexibility.

If you plan to dive locally, go to the local sites and check out what the locals use. What will work for you locally, may be a bit bulky in the warmer waters, but will work just fine. What may work just fine in the warmer waters, may not work at all for you locally.

Look at a reg for cold water. Something that has an environmentally sealed first.

Look for a computer that you can manipulate with gloves on. A watch style likely won't work for you in MA.

Just do you homework and happy diving!

As a fellow new diver, I think renting at least for a complete season is a good idea. I own mask, fins, light and knife but rent the suit, tanks, regs and so on. When i crunched the numbers I figured I have to dive a lot to make it work economically. The tank is the most obvious, it cost me 5.00 to rent one but it also cost 5.00 to fill one and you have the visuals and hydos that have to be done. I may buy a reg in the next few months because I’m starting to get a feel for what I like and I would like to take it with me when I travel.

I'm glad I waited to buy because my preferences change as my experience increases and as I rent/try different brands and types of gear.

well some shops only offer one bran/type of rentals other shops do offer more. I bought all my equipment during my OW training and Still have and happy with all of it. I did the research online and then went in to my LDS and Spent almost 2 hours in pool trying out every Reg to see which one I liked best. The smart thing to do if possible is try before you buy, whether it;s new equipment in pool, Rental, Friends.

I almost always support my LDS for many reasons, but since no one has mentioned this one I'll throw it out there: your local shop may also cut you a package pricing deal. If you are purchasing regs, gauges, BCD, etc. all from one place, many times they're more flexible with prices and have taken anywhere from 5-15% the total price in my experience.

On another side note, the shop I frequent has prices that are surprisingly competitive with some online ones. I'd suggest visiting many local shops and talking with them as well as doing research online. Good luck!

Either take Online Prices and go to your LDS and ask them to match them or come close. Another method Is to take MSRP prices and then take 20-25% off the Item(s) and use that as your number that percentage seems to be very fair. Especially if your buying a few things or whole set of gear. Everything New from a Diveshop I have purchased has been on those numbers or better. But aggresive and dont be afriad to call around to a few different dive shops or send a few different emails to different places with what you want and price you would like to pay as long as it's reasonable Im sure you'll get a shop that will sell it to you

I think a lot of this has to do with how confident you are in your ability to research gear and with how comfortable you are taking the chance that something might not work out. But I don't think there's really much you can do about gambling on your choices, no matter where you buy it, unless you rent or borrow one model of something many times and become very confident it works well for you. I found Scubadiving.com to be useful. Of course, one of the things you soon realize is that most of what appears on the market works pretty well. But the tests and reviews can sometimes alert you to a particular significant weakness or one that you know will annoy you particularly. But I figure that, like a lot of other things, it's not the gear that will determine how well you dive.

I didn't worry too much about details, but being very new, I had to acquire some orientation to what things were more or less standard or not in different kinds of gear. For instance, I might find some good deals offered on an XL size BCD. And it seemed to fit okay. But by trying on a fair number of BCD's, I discovered that 2XL, which isn't an option in every model, was best for me, not because of the chest or waist size, but because the additional length made the difference between okay and just right. On the other hand, I could find nothing against older regulator designs for my planned rec dives, not too deep, not too cold, so no reason for me to go for the newest and most advanced. And wetsuits of the same marked size may fit very differently.

So I think the goal is to not be gambling more than necessary, which means managing both cost and apparent suitability. And, whenever I catch myself fretting too much over price, I remember that most gear is very long-lasting, that the cost of maintaining cheap stuff is just as high as maintaining expensive stuff (and may, over time, exceed the purchase price), and it's just generally a somewhat expensive activity to equip for initially. So one factor is also how accepting you are of the costs of the activity. For instance, my scuba gear doesn't seem so high when the whole rig is less than the cost of my kayak. (Big guy, and big guy kayaks don't pop up used too often.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom