Question Separate pool equipment for DMs/instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting - what is the technical reason behind not soaking them? And is simply rinsing the regs the best way of preserving them?

I'll look into getting a different (cheap) BCD for the pool since we don't have many spare rentals once the students have been assigned their gear for the course.
Soaking regs in water that other gear has been rinsed or used for soaking is just soaking them in dirty water. If you are talking gear used in saltwater, soaking them is just soaking them in that.
Rinsing gear with clear freshwater and working the knobs and buttons helps to remove the contaminants.
Soaking regs unpressurized risks flooding the 1st stage if a purge button is pressed or the DUST CAP (not waterproof cap) is loose or dislodged.
Running fresh water is the proper way to rinse regs. Soaking them is a good way to risk unnecessary damage and excess wear.

Soaking regs in water that other gear has been rinsed or used for soaking is just soaking them in dirty water. If you are talking gear used in saltwater, soaking them is just soaking them in that.
Rinsing gear with clear freshwater and working the knobs and buttons helps to remove the contaminants.
Soaking regs unpressurized risks flooding the 1st stage if a purge button is pressed or the DUST CAP (not waterproof cap) is loose or dislodged.
Running fresh water is the proper way to rinse regs. Soaking them is a good way to risk unnecessary damage and excess wear.
boom. mic drop. nuff said. lol

As I will be spending up to 4hrs a week in the pool with courses, I'm somewhat concerned about the long term effects on my gear and how quickly it may accelerate the wear and tear.
Doing business does incur some costs.
I always soak my regs in a bin of water at home and I've been immediately hosing down my BC and neoprene suit/boots
Why neoprene in a pool? The water is warm.
Soaking is against the ocean salt.
gear longevity?
Please refactor it in course fees.

I can't imagine a dive shop you are "working" for, not requiring that you use the gear that they sell. As far as soaking gear, we've (me and wife) been doing it for more than 40 years and gear gets replaced about every 20 years. Serviced as needed. Never has been a problem with good gear. All Scuba Pro.

I can't imagine a dive shop you are "working" for, not requiring that you use the gear that they sell.
i had to be affiliated with a an ssi shop.
even though i rarely bought gear from my shop, i always made sure it was ok to use the gear i was planning to buy.
using a brand they could not sell wouldn't make much sense.
but if i was an independent instructor, i would use whatever gear a chose to.

i had to be affiliated with a an ssi shop.
even though i rarely bought gear from my shop, i always made sure it was ok to use the gear i was planning to buy.
using a brand they could not sell wouldn't make much sense.
but if i was an independent instructor, i would use whatever gear a chose to.
as an independent instructor, gear and maintenance is coming from your course costs and fees. If you are working for a shop and they are making the money, you use their equipment.

If you are working for a shop and they are making the money, you use their equipment.
i never used the shops equip. neither did any other instructor that i know of. we all bought and paid to maintain our own gear.

Maybe the shop will allow you to use some of their rental gear in the pool. The upside for the shop is students see their gear that they sell in use and may help encourage them to buy their from the shop.
Unless you own the shop, sounds like they need to buy more rental equipment.
I agree. I worked for two different shops, and for pool work in both, I always used the same rental gear as the students.

If you can't use their rental equipment, they should be able to sell you gear for pool use at a steep discount.

i never used the shops equip. neither did any other instructor that i know of. we all bought and paid to maintain our own gear.
If that is the case, why would you teach at their shop instead of on your own?
They make the money, they incur the expenses.

If that is the case, why would you teach at their shop instead of on your own?
They make the money, they incur the expenses.
not to derail the thread but you asked so.....with ssi you have to be affiliated with a dive shop.
it's not like we worked for free. well, sometimes we did. lol
i honestly don't think i would have used the shops gear even if it was offered. maybe for pool work, but def not for any ow diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom