Seaquest Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Picked up a used Seaquest a few weeks ago. I love how easy it is to get perfect trim underwater.

On the surface, with most weight configurations, it pushes me face down a bit. The interesting thing is that while is is not very stable in a vertical position, if I lean totally into a backfloat position, it is easy to maintain--maybe because it lays my steel tank below the air bladder. Nice for surface swims. Alternatively, when I load most of my weights in the trim pockets and on my weight belt, rather than in the integrated weight pockets, it floats me vertically almost like a jacket BC.

It does not dump air easily--I think that one reason for this is that the velco strap that attaches the inflator hose to the shoulder strap is set a bit low, putting a big U-shaped upward bend into the hose and trapping air. I usually unvelcro the hose and hold it straight up from the shoulder for ascents. And underwater, I roll to bring either the shoulder or the hip to the highest point.

A question: Where do you attach your knife or snips on this BC?

Also, I am new to weight integrated BCs. Will regular lead weights wear out the pockets, so that you have to use shot, or are they OK?

I've been using mine with lead weights for a few years without any problems. Depending on the model year you have, the newer ones have holes in the weight pockets to clip small knives to. I've seen a few people zip tie small knives to their inflator hoses too.

....Alternatively, when I load most of my weights in the trim pockets and on my weight belt, rather than in the integrated weight pockets, it floats me vertically almost like a jacket BC.

Doing the weights like you say helps big time.

A question: Where do you attach your knife or snips on this BC?

Those two grommets on the left side accept a mounting for the sheath of the Seaquest BCD knife. The knife mounts horizontally and is easy to find. It almost doesn't get any more convenient than that.

Hi,
the balance is a great bcd for travel, very light (2kgs i think), esp if you don't use the intergrated wight pockets. Also had the same problem of dumping. I guess as there isn't a velcro belt, the bcd tends to float up and hence when you pull to dump, it is a bit harder. the drop down pocket is great. nice and streamlined if you ain't using the pocket, but if you need to use it, plenty of space is avaliable. the zipper can be hard to open one handed.

Hi, I am in the process of researching travel BCDs. I used to have a Scuba Pro Accent Vest BC, but it was a pain to pack and carry when I travel. Very bulky. However, after a not so great experience in Aruba with a leaky rental BC, which they would not exchange for me, I have decided I should investigate travel BCs. I have been looking at both the Zuma and the Balance, both by SeaQuest/ Aqualung. I like the stronger looking construction of the Balance, but how well does it pack? Any durability issues. Note: this will be my first back inflate BCD. Any others that you would recommend that I check out? Thanks

A buddy of mine and his wife bought the Zumas before we went to the Caymans last year and loved them. I don't think you would go wrong with either of the ones you listed.

My Balance travels well and is sturdy enough to handle any dives I want to make. For me, it has the right combination of reliability and sturdiness, coupled with moderate weight and packability. When I went shopping for a replacement BC/birthday present for my wife, I looked at the Zuma. It's lack of a backplate and over-lightness convinced me to to buy the Libra instead (she had been diving a Libra since 1999 and I knew she would be comfortable with it.)

I have been using the Balance since May of 10 and it works like a champ. I haven't noticed any dumping problem but I use the release on the right shoulder rather than the inflater. Also use the Scubapro Air 2 rather than the Air 3.

I use a balance as well and have not noticed any dumping issues. I am getting pretty good at reaching the dump that is right above my right hip as I'm horizontal, which seems to release almost all the air if i am not careful. I think I may have bought on that was one size too big, which isn't a big problem as I can still get it pretty snug. I did have issues with it riding up on my if I leaned too far forward in the water, so I attached a crotch strap to it. Now with the added crotch strap, I couldn't ask for anything more. Although, I do want to still try a BP/W setup, until then I have no qualms with the Balance, its a great BC that I expect will last quite a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom