Mactan (Cebu) December 4-7 2010 - some words and pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Destination Mactan island

Having had the few days diving in MoalBoal, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...ber-2-4-2010-some-pics-words.html#post5635291 a friend had convinced me that while on Cebu I should also check out the diving up near Mactan (close to Cebu airport) - thus afternoon 4 Dec it was back on the road and the long drive back up to Mactan. Incase it helps anyone thinking of heading to Mactan, here's a quick summary of my few days there ..

Headed to Kontiki Divers scuba diving in cebu | PADI dive courses cebu where we said our hellos late Saturday and booked ourselves for dives on following two days

And have to say after 6 dives I was suprised, I hadn't heard a lot about diving in Mactan from anyone but it was actually pretty good all round, viz not fantastic ~ kind of 10~12 metres, but plenty of varying life ~ Lot's of Macro subjects, plenty of fish, corals, some small wrecks, wall diving, reefs, a great cave in a wall (around 25 m + depth) to enter, some protected reef areas full of life, no noticeable currents - no problem, glad we went there.

I also I felt there was some pretty unusual fish and macro life in the waters ~ some pics below (and more in ScubaBoard Gallery - Mactan, Philippines Dec 2010 ) - that's the first yellow finned lionfish I've seen, the little morays with yellow markings aren't in my fish ID book, the large snake eel with his head out of the sand (I thought they only appeared at night ?) - and the big blue jellyfish, almost a metre diameter -- ah so many things. 6 dives over two days (including my logging my 100th dive) all good.

The set up at Kontiki divers, no problem, it's on the beach, has a bar and restaurant, has it's own boat, good bunch of local divers taking you out to the dive sites, nitrox available and checked, facilities for washing gear a little small, but room there to hang gear and keep it safe etc, so overall no problem, and we'd use Kontiki again.

Dare I say that I actually enjoyed the diving at Mactan more than MoalBoal :shocked2:?

The downpoints - well we stayed a night in only room available in Kontiki resort, and next couple of nights at far better 'Whitesands' hotel about 10 mins up the coast, but outside the Kontiki or Whitesands - there is very little, unless visitors want to go really local style ?

The other down point, on one site a group of South Koreans were diving (or should I say were in the water wearing equipment), and I have never seen before such destructive, mindless stupidity as seen in that group - fins demolishing trails in corals, useless buoyancy so stirring up total clouds of sand, poking & prodding any life they could get to, turning over rocks ... really, seeing divers like that I can only hope that they run out of air or meet some hungry sharks in the not to distant future. :shark:

Enjoy the photos :D.

Last edited:
Hi Wantonmien,

Thank you very much for diving with us. We are glad that you enjoyed diving around Cebu! As you see sometimes you do not have to travel far to have great dives and there is much more! We are looking forward to see you again.

Regards
Kontiki Divers Team

wanton,
do u have any shots of the yellow fish w/its fins extended....

Rogersea,

Unfortunately not, he/she was resting under a bit of a ledge on a rock close to a more normal coloured lion and not in such a good position to photograph, other shots I have as below.

For info we found the 'yellow lion fish' at the very end of second dive at site I think is called "Talima Sancturay, Olango Island" ~ maybe 100 metres along from the wreck.

Cheers.

Hi

A bit late on this but thanks for posting it, a good balanced review. Can you please tell me what sites you did? We are interested in Olango Island.

Hi Waterbaby09,

I don't write the names of most sites down, but from Kontiki divers which is close to "Whitesands" hotel - we went both directions along the coast for various dives off the boat, including once in "Shangrila hotel" protected area, once into an excellent cave which has entrance in a wall about 25m depth (and a few king crabs wandering around on its dark walls), and some standard reef / walls ~ definetly check out the cave, it was my last dive and I wish I'd done it earlier in trip as by that last dive I was on the deco limits.

Our day trip 1 hour + boat ride over to "Talima Sancturay, Olango Island" - for dives on the reef / wall / small wreck there, lunch on board etc was well worth it. Our drop off points were pretty close to each other, at different sections of the wall / reef. If using Kontiki as I did - drop greg@kontikidivers.com a line, as he and his guys there for sure know all the dive sites, and when we arrived with them we just asked them to show us the best diving in the area, and weren't disappointed.

I'm currently juggling dates but planning to head to Bohol around mid March, stopping in Mactan for a day or two diving on route, so if dates coincide maybe see you there.

PS: Check out Taiwan forum, and the Hammerhead Shark diving trip that I went on last week - totally awesome dives - better than Mactan :rofl3:

Cool pics! Thanks for posting. There's just so much diving to do in Cebu. I'll be sure to check this out in the future. :D

Regards,
Gi

Back
Top Bottom