Dive info for Carolina Beach area in April, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpartanDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

My girlfriend and I will be heading to the Carolina Beach, NC area in early April for a week. I am interested in doing a little bit of diving while we are in town and am hoping that those with knowledge of the wrecks and diving scene of the area can provide me with some info about the best wrecks to visit, tips, etc. It seems that Cape Fear Divers is the local shop to charter out of.

I am an experienced diver, having dived wrecks in the Great Lakes and also the North Atlantic off of Connecticut and Rhode Island. However, I'll be looking for low-stress, relatively shallow dives (probably under 100ft). I just want to get wet while I'm there and experience a little bit of the NC dive scene.

Thanks for any help that you can send my way.

Chad

Any of the wrecks they suggest should be fine with something unique to each one. Water temps will still be in the upper 50's low 60's. Vis could be 10ft or it could be 50ft. Waves and wind will be the determining factor of going out. If you get blown-out, don't forget to visit. Ft. Fisher Aquarium, Ft. Fisher, Battleship North Carolina, Wilmington's waterfront, UNCW should be playing baseball too.

NDBC - Southeast USA Recent Marine Data

This is a link to sea buoy data for the area.

Every diver likes something different. If I were to dive offshore Carolina Beach tomorrow I would go for the Hyde or Megalodon Ledge. Both are described on their website. I don't recommend the ledge unless you are a fossil nut.

Below are a couple of videos I took this past season. It was a FUN boat. Not stuffy. Not a lot of strict rules. Beautiful FLAT blue water down to around 50 feet, then it hazed-out on down to the bottom at 90. They were out for a good time. AND we had a good time!

Hawksbill / Cape Fear Dive Center

Hawksbill / Cape Fear Dive Center

The Hawksbill. (click photo to enlarge) Operated by Cape Fear Dive Center

The Vicky Lynn. Operated by Cape Fear Dive Center

I would also reccommend the Hyde. Its the only NC wreck i've been on but its supposedly one that has a guaranteed sand tiger encounter. I mean, the structures are nice and the fish are plentiful, but its the sharks u wanna see. They are there and they are beautiful.

The Markham is also very close to the Hyde and generally has the same view and sea conditions.

Also, there are decent charters in Wrightsville beach as well. I'm not supporting any of them, just want you to know that you may or may not find a better rate with not much further to drive.

April is likely to early to see the sand tigers - I have dove Hyde and Markam probably a dozen times. In the summer - lots of sand tigers, but they don't arrive until June.

Those are good dives - I have dove with Aquatic Safaris, a very good operation. There are some other wrecks that are closer inshore - in the 60 ft range (dredge wreck is a fun real wreck (not artificial) and then there are the Stone and Pocohontos Tugs - all right in the same area,

I saw sand tigers on the sub and schurtz a month ago--granted that is a little further north, but maybe they are staying here year round now??

Lots of great dive out of that area.. Another great Operator to check with is Aquatic Safaris. Aquatic Safaris Home

Paul runs a great outfit and has 2 boats running to all the hot spots.. Check his charter schedule to see where they are going or, if there is nothing scheduled for your dates, you can start a trip. (no cost to start a trip, just call the shop)

Enjoy..

I'm on vacation week ending April 2nd and I have no plans after wednesday the 30th. I'd love to do something thursday through sunday. Its hard to find charters that early but if u need another spot filled on the boat, let me know and i'm game.

Or if you want really relaxing diving, we got some cold quarries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom