Trip Report Little Cayman Beach Resort February 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlenElectronic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was my sixth time to Little Cayman Beach Resort to go diving for a week. Arrived February 24 and departed March 2, 2024. The last time I was here was in March 2017. Lots of changes. The reception area (front desk) is where the gift shop used to be. And the old reception area is now part of the restaurant and has an indoor bar area. The gym building is now a Back Scatter camera shop. Everything was well maintained and looked good. Several of the staff are still here from years prior and it’s nice to be remembered and recognized.

I always purchase the full meal plan for all three meals, 3 boat dives a day and the drink plan. In reality, it’s tough to consume 21 drinks in 6 days if you’re diving all day and want to get some decent sleep. I bought a number of people drinks with my card and still didn’t use all of it.

My guest room was on the second level and faced the ocean. It was easy to get to and a quiet location. Guest rooms are clean, nicely appointed (for a diver who only sleeps in the room). Queen size bed, couch, lots of drawers and a desk area (single supplement room), closet area for hanging clothes and lots of shelves. Room safe. Coffee machine for those early risers who get up before the restaurant opens (me).

Bathroom is a good size for one person. Water pressure is low, but plentiful hot water. Soap, shampoo and conditioner all provided. Towels are plentiful and they will replace daily if you place them on the bathroom floor.

Sharon still runs the dive operations and she is great. Although behind the scenes, she runs a tight ship and everything operates smoothly. Nitrox was not available and I was told they are waiting for a new compressor.

I was on the Island Dreamer for the week with dive masters David, Brad & Robynne. They were fantastic and easy to be with. As always, good orientations of each dive site and it’s so wonderful that they bring your BCD/Tank to the rear of the boat where you sit to gear up. UW cameras are brought to you too. The 46 ft boats are all arranged for the sole purpose of diving and work very well for that.

Water temp was 76 to 78 degrees for the week with air temp 81 degrees. It was windy every day with small chop on the water. Visibility on the North side of the island (Bloody Bay Wall & Jackson Reef) was over 100’ every day except the last when it was about 80’.

There was a big storm a couple of weeks prior (Norwester) that really moved a lot of sand around and dead coral. Most areas did not have the typical fish population at this time. Not sure if it’s because of the storm or it’s the current situation because of global warming. More dead coral than last time I was here, but the reefs still look fairly healthy.

I am used to seeing an abundance of groupers who are usually very friendly. Not this time. They were around, but not in large quantities and were staying distant. Only saw three turtles, one large green moray eel, a couple of rays and three lion fish (one was huge, the biggest I have ever seen). I was told there were more turtles and a few people saw sharks in the distance. Lots of small fish and some schools in the usual places (mixing bowl). All the large barrel sponges are still there and the Bloody Bay Wall is as spectacular as always. Lots of swim thru’s in both deep and shallow water. It’s always dramatic to go thru them.

I keep coming back to LCBR because it’s such a nice comfortable place to dive. The resort is well run, the staff is great and the diving is always interesting. The food is very good and plentiful. Not gourmet quality, but nicely done, a great variety and the dessert table is over the top for both lunch and dinner.

The bar is always a fun place to be in the late afternoons and evenings. Low key, great drinks and you can’t beat the view of the pool deck and ocean beyound. The week I was there was very quiet in the evening with the exception of Friday night karaoke. Everyone was having a good time and it shuts down at 10pm so no loud music until the wee hours.

Friday afternoon when I can't dive due to flying out Saturday morning, I always rent a motor scooter (Scooten Scooters. Bruce is a great guy who runs the business for the last 17 years) to see what has changed on the 22-mile drive around the island. It takes about 3+ hours and it's a nice ride with a couple of stops to see a few sights, swim in the ocean at several beaches and get close to the wreck on the shore line of a barge on the Northeast side of the island. A number of new homes have been built along the coast since the last time I was here, both South & North side. But it's still sparsely populated.

I’ll be coming back again.

Attachments

• MICR0002.jpeg
    MICR0002.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN1309.jpeg
    DSCN1309.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6249.jpeg
    IMG_6249.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for the report..... has me motivated to go back to LCBR this year! What was the single supplement cost? Also, does LCBR allow certified SOLO diving?

I always purchase the full meal plan for all three meals, 3 boat dives a day and the drink plan.
Good to know. I don't drink alcohol, so I'm glad to hear one can get the meal plan without the cost of alcohol built-in, while it's still there for those who want it.
Nitrox was not available and I was told they are waiting for a new compressor.
Did you or anyone else you heard of find the absence of nitro limiting or worrisome?

In the past at another Caribbean destination (St. Croix years ago), doing 4 boat dives/day on air, I found on the last dive I needed to be watchful of NDL. IIRC, with LCBR you typically do 3 per day. Of course, in the Caymans you often have the option to spend much of the dive pretty deep if you want and have good gas consumption. Just wondering what your actual experience was with this.

Thanks for the report..... has me motivated to go back to LCBR this year! What was the single supplement cost? Also, does LCBR allow certified SOLO diving?
Pool view room double occupancy is $2995 per person. Same room single occupancy is $3719. Includes all meals, three dives a day and drinks at the bar.

They do not allow solo diving. I asked the DM's on the boat. When they said no I told them the last time I was here there was a diver with a big Gates UW housing (with a RED camera inside) who was solo diving. They still said no solo diving. Later on I was talking to one of the DM's about the Back Scatter sponsored events where everyone has a large UW camera rig and how they handle those. Was told everyone goes a different way when they moor at a dive site to get photos without having a group around them. Not sure if that is considered solo diving.
F7493336-E7F7-44BC-966E-993DB2936248.jpeg

Bummer for the nitrox indeed, hope they get that sorted. I expect getting parts takes time.

Did they make it out to Brac on a day trip? We were on Brac recently and hoping to make the trip over to little Cayman but weather didn’t allow for it. Sounds like you may have had the same.

Also wondering how it went with luggage and gear on the small otter plane. We have heard that bags have often been delayed and someone (perhaps you?) recently mentioned something about cancelled flights on the way to LC.

Thanks for the report and it’s definitely on our list. One day soon I hope.

Good to know. I don't drink alcohol, so I'm glad to hear one can get the meal plan without the cost of alcohol built-in, while it's still there for those who want it.

Did you or anyone else you heard of find the absence of nitro limiting or worrisome?

In the past at another Caribbean destination (St. Croix years ago), doing 4 boat dives/day on air, I found on the last dive I needed to be watchful of NDL. IIRC, with LCBR you typically do 3 per day. Of course, in the Caymans you often have the option to spend much of the dive pretty deep if you want and have good gas consumption. Just wondering what your actual experience was with this.
I didn't find out about the lack of Nitrox until 2 weeks before I left and a credit was issued as I had prepaid for Nitrox fills for all dives. Initially I was concerned about this due to daily repetitive dives but it really wasn't an issue as I was careful of my depth, bottom time and surface intervals. The lack of Nitrox didn't significantly alter my dive plan for the week. By the way, this was the first time I haven't used Nitrox in 16 years and it really wasn't an issue. I always dive with two computers and both showed me in the clear at the end of the week.

There were a couple of divers who went significantly deeper on the first dives of the day (I stop at 110 ft) and they seemed to be OK with their profiles (although I have a suspicion, they weren't really paying attention).
MICR0007.jpeg

Bummer for the nitrox indeed, hope they get that sorted. I expect getting parts takes time.

Did they make it out to Brac on a day trip? We were on Brac recently and hoping to make the trip over to little Cayman but weather didn’t allow for it. Sounds like you may have had the same.

Also wondering how it went with luggage and gear on the small otter plane. We have heard that bags have often been delayed and someone (perhaps you?) recently mentioned something about cancelled flights on the way to LC.

Thanks for the report and it’s definitely on our list. One day soon I hope.
We did not make it to Cayman Brac for the wreck dive. The wind was too strong which caused medium size waves (I would call it small chop, but I've been ocean sailing for most of my life). They also cancelled the night dive due to waves in the cut. Wasn't the end of the world for me as I have been on the wreck many times, but others were disappointed. I should note that only 14 people signed up for the wreck dive. Most of the divers didn't want to do it. If you haven't seen it, here is a video I shot the last time I was here (2017). You can no longer dive inside the wreck, they have closed off all access to go inside.

Ah yes, luggage. I did have a problem with Cayman Air as did my dive buddy. When we arrived in Grand Cayman on Saturday (3 1/2 hours before our departure to Little Cayman) and then transferred to Cayman Air, our flight was delayed due to mechanical problems. We ended up taking the last flight of the day to Little Cayman. As I was walking to the plane I noted all our luggage was on a cart next to the plane (I have a lot of gear as I shoot UW video's and edit on site). When we landed in Little Cayman my clothing bag was not on the plane and my friends dive gear was also not on the plane. It didn't arrive until lunch time on Sunday (my buddy didn't dive the first two morning dives as he didn't want to use rental equipment, which they offered for free).

Returning from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman I had the same problem, my clothing bag didn't make it (I'm still waiting for it to be Fedex'd to me). Even though I prepaid for all the luggage and over-weight status, one bag each way didn't get loaded on the plane. Seems it happens a fair amount as they are very strict on the weight these planes carry. They even weighed your carry-on bags at Little Cayman. How they decide which bags go is unknown. (Although I suspect the ground crew decides what fits in the cargo hold and then leaves whatever doesn't fit).

I purposely have 3+ hour connecting times to avoid missing luggage on either end. I figure if my luggage doesn't make the first inter-island flight it will arrive on the next. Nope. It didn't help.

Is everyone required to stay with the DM on the dive or can teams go elsewhere on their own?
You are allowed to go where-ever you want with a buddy as long as your back on the boat within 60 minutes. You do not have to follow the DM's. They are strict about the amount of air left in your tank when you return to the boat. Anything below 500 psi and they are having a conversation with you (rightfully so).

Sounds like my last trip in 2019. We never had Nitrox then either. Same “missing parts” excuse.

Cayman Airways also screwed up our flights AND bags were of course delayed. Disappointing for such a rich country. Many promises to “fix” things up. None forthcoming. I’ve heard the “new aircraft has been ordered” line so many times, it’s become trite.

Back
Top Bottom