La Jolla/San Diego Beginning of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages

Contributor
Reaction score
Any locals have info on what kind of exposure gear we will need to bring/rent to save baggage fees and where to get them?

Anyone going to be in the area want to show some East Coasters about?

Any ideas on local shops - we are not cash heavy, so cheaper is bettera.

Thanks in advance.

---And as a side not, I just noticed this is my 666th Post. :D

A lot of the answers to your questions can be found under links at the following site:

Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

I use Ocean Enterprises for all my diving needs. You will need 7mm gear, it's COLD.

For local beach dives, visit this site...La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove is the most popular...

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West

I'll be around to show you guys some stuff, let me know if you want to do some boat dives to the local wrecks/kelp, and I can see if we can get a group together.

Since you guys are already here, a day-trip to Catalina may also be an option.

Rent your gear from Sport Chalet (several locations in the San Diego area; La Jolla-UTC shop is closest to La Jolla Shores/Cove). You may be able to get an entire weekend's rental for the price of one day. Call the store and verify this beforehand. I've had friends who have picked up rental gear on Friday evening and returned it on Sunday afternoon...and paid for one day. If you need to buy anything scuba-related, Sport Chalet has the best prices in the area. Customer service can be hit-or-miss, though. I've encountered very knowledgeable, helpful staff there...and some folks who really don't know what they're talking about. Bear in mind it's a chain of sporting goods stores.

With regard to exposure protection, you'll want at least a 7mm wetsuit, thick hood that you can tuck into the neck of the wetsuit, gloves, booties, and open-heeled fins. Many people like to layer a 3mm hooded vest underneath a 7mm. I prefer wearing my drysuit. :D

Join the Divebums.com email list. A week or two before your trip, you could send out an email asking to tag along with experienced local divers. Include your training level, dive experience, and whether you have any experience at all diving in SoCal-like conditions (55°F-65°F water, 10-15 ft. vis, surf for shore diving, etc.). There's also a Power Scuba Meetup.com group that is fairly active. If you want a formal DM-guided tour of La Jolla Shores or the Cove, I've heard that Scuba Diver Girls are a good outfit.

Getting air fills at La Jolla Shores used to be straightforward, if not a little aggravating. OEX (about 2 blocks away from the Shores) used to be the place to go for fills. OEX closed its doors a few months ago, it now seems to be operating with more of an emphasis on kayak rentals halfway down the block, and some of the former OEX instructors have split off to do their own thing. I've heard that the instructors are providing air fills out of a convenience store next to OEX's previous location. I've been told that you have to call a number ahead of time to arrange for fills on an as-needed basis. Hopefully, the air fill situation will get straightened out as the summer approaches. Alternatively, you could drive to the La Jolla-UTC location of Sport Chalet in the Westfield Mall and get fills there.

Thanks for all the great info. I have already looked up Sport Chalet BT. Thanks again.

I haven't been on the board in a while, but we have been certed for a while and stay pretty practiced. We have our own drysuits, but I hesitate to bring them because of the baggage costs, so we may just suffer through icky rentals for the couple of dives we would be able to do.

Much of our experience is cold dark water, with strong current. Great Lakes, St Lawrence River and NC Coast. As well as a lot of warm water fl keys diving.

We will have our own regs, and I may try to get our BP's and wings in as well, as I hate to try to adjust to a rental BC.

I will definitely sign up for the email list on Dive Bums.

Thanks again.

We should be in the area on the first full weekend of May (6th, 7th and 8th). We are staying with friends in the area, so I don't know our full schedule.

I live in LA, but was at a wedding in La Jolla last November, so didn't know anything about the area. As already mentioned, Power Scuba is great - lots of activities and participation to join in with, so you can probably tag along with any of a number of divers, either for shore dives or close in boat trips. They have a big get together planned for Saturday, May 7. The Yukon wreck is also right there, along with others in wreck alley.

I've used and recommend without hesitation these amazing ladies.
Scuba Diver Girls

They know every inch of La Jolla/San Diego diving. So, if you really want to have some good dives AND have some great fun, give them a call.

Back
Top Bottom