Bubbletrubble and myself. His post, quoted above, gave me the idea for this thread and we've worked together to present it in slightly different format than normal. We have divided the scenarios into groups.
To help alleviate confusion and cross posting, there is a separate thread for discussion of each group of topics. The group topic is a hyperlink and will take you to a thread for discussion of that topic.
Please Read The Following Bullet Points Carefully!
- Our intent for this discussion is to get newer divers thinking, not spoon feed them the answers.
- We're going to ask that the more experienced divers don't just jump in with responses to every scenario.
- Instead, we want this to be a two part exercise for newer divers by doing the following:
- Quote a given scenario and
- (1) discuss what they would do given the situation
- (2) talk about how to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.
- Then the more experienced divers can give follow up comments on insights on those answers.
Anyone is encouraged to a post new scenario for discussion, but please follow the instructions above when answering and keep it relevant to the topic.
What if...? Lost Buddies
* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?
* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?
* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?
* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?
* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?
What if...? Dive Planning & Trust Me Dives
* What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy or the DM pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?
* What would you do if the DM leading your boat dive went into a cave or other overhead environment?
* What would you do if your buddy inexplicably descended deeper (100+ fsw) than the two of you had discussed during pre-dive planning?
* What would you do if your buddy wanted to go diving but you weren't comfortable with the dive conditions (high surf, current, low vis, rough seas, etc.)?
* What would you do if your buddy gave you "the thumb" on the dive but everything seemed like it was OK?
What if...? Equipment Issues
* What would you do if your buddy kicked your reg out of your mouth?
* What would you do if your mask strap broke and you lost your mask?
* What would you do if a fin strap broke during your dive?
* What would you do if your inflator/dump valve pulled out of your BC?
* What would you do if your only light went out on a night dive?
What if...? Physiological Issues
* What would you do if you started feeling really cold on a dive...so cold that it was difficult to think clearly?
* What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough gas?
* What would you do if you're finning hard to keep your head above the surface of the water...and you're getting tired?
* What would you do if you were unable to equalize/clear ears on ascent (reverse block)?
What if...? Computer Issues
* What would you do if your computer stopped working during a dive?
* What would you do if you exceeded your NDLs (table or computer)?
* What would you do if your buddies computer went into deco but yours still showed NDL time remaining?
* What would you do if you were gearing up on the boat and realized you forgot your computer and no one had an extra?
What if...? Miscellaneous Problems
* What would you do if your buddy started making fun of how much air you use?
* What would you do if another diver criticized your gear?
* What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?
* What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?
* What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?