Athens Scuba Park Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brettp2004

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has any information about Athens Scuba Park in Texas. I've only been able to find a few posts on here. I put this thread on the basic forum and was told I would have better luck here. Some say it's great others say it's terrible. I really want to take a weekend trip out there this summer but don't want to waste my time and money if it's not as good as the website (athensscubapark.com) makes it sound. If anyone has been there in the last year or so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the Swamp, Brett! I replied to your post in General, but I'm sure some of the other Swampers will be glad to chime in.

Have you checked out some of the videos of Athens Scuba Park on YouTube? There are several, and they might give you some idea what it's like. Just a thought.

It really depends on what the viz is the day you are there, the last time I was there it was about 1 foot. It is shallow and can really get stirred up. I prefer Clearsprings Scuba Park outside of Terrell it is deeper and on a bad day I have not seen the viz much less that 8'.

Both have camping but Athens has a freight train track very close if you are a light sleeper.

I like Athens. It cost 15 bucks to get in. Air fill is 5 bucks. The folks are real nice and don't act all better than you just because they can scuba dive. The visibility is real good so far this year and the temps are in the 70's. I was there week before last and vis was a good 40 feet. It's only about 24 feet deep but dang far at least you can see where your going. Now, I like Clear Springs too, but, it cost 20 bucks to get in, air is 8 bucks and the water is colder. I've never been there when visibility is as good as most folks say. They do have lots of fish and hydrilla, but those brim fish are cannibalistic or something. They'd hurt you if they had teeth. If your driving out all the way from Arkansas then you might as well try both and decide for youself.

I am out at Athens all the time and i don't ever recall a time the viz was 1 foot that is a big miss quote. It is like any other place it everyone kickis up the bottom it reduces the viz. I was helping teach a class out there this past weekend and the viz was 45 to 50 feet. There is plenty to see and dive there the water temp was 72 on the bottom. You will have a great time there enjoy and give me a holler and i will even join you.

I have only been there 3 times, never had good viz, we had to cancel a class last time because viz was so bad that at arms length you could not identify who you were looking at. Next time Im there I hope the viz is good.

Thanks for the information everyone. I think I am going to take a 3 day weekend and come down and try both locations. I didn't realize how close they were to each other. I'm trying to get my friend certified so he can go with me seeing my wife is pregnant and can't dive right now. ODTILL, I will definitely let you know when we decide to come down. I'd like to have someone there with some knowledge of the area. Again thanks!

I am out at Athens all the time and i don't ever recall a time the viz was 1 foot that is a big miss quote. It is like any other place it everyone kickis up the bottom it reduces the viz. I was helping teach a class out there this past weekend and the viz was 45 to 50 feet. There is plenty to see and dive there the water temp was 72 on the bottom. You will have a great time there enjoy and give me a holler and i will even join you.

...was that 45' - 50' vis ABOVE water ?

Hello, this is cal...Athens Scuba Park .pres...
Please come and judge the park, vis 50' temp 72 on bottom today.
If you come and dont like it you pay nothingYou can enjoy seeing lots of wrecks, plane,bus,house boats, 20 to choose from, and yes there are a few fish, 300 or so, bass.come see us. :)

Back
Top Bottom