Athens Scuba Park Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were there last Saturday and the viz was very good over 20' and we really enjoyed ourselves my son came up from Austin and we both enjoyed looking at all the things underwater. The people there were very friendly and helpful, it is a nice place to dive and I will be going back soon.

It depends what kind of diving you like... If all you have dove is the carribean it would prob be a shocker. But for people like me and most other texans I am used to 10 feet visibility. The park it's self is nice and does have some cool stuff to see, just try it out. It wont be a waste of money

The park is very nice, the proprieter friendly. I have no doubt that the folks who are experiencing the 50' vis are telling the truth, and have heard trusted friends speak of memories of being at Athens when the vis was that way. My only trip to Athens was a few years ago, in June or July. It was the middle of the week (Wed., I think) and there were only a handful of divers across the lake from my husband, daughter, and me. The water looked so amazing from the dock- then when we got in, there seemed to be a white particulate in the water that really hurt the vis. Was this an algae bloom? I'm not sure, but it was very disorienting as you finned along- it reminded me of being in the old "Asteroids" game, and definitely caused the vis to be poor. There were some very cool items sunk- we found a schoolbus and I think a VW bug. My frustration came when my daughter and I (both bottle-blondes) came out of our beanies/doo-rags, after diving. The realization that both of us were suddenly sporting new green locks on our heads was pretty horrifying, to say the least. When we got to the (very nice, with hot water) showers, one of the workers was waiting with "green-out" shampoo (!!) Okay- mixed feelings- the shampoo was much appreciated (although it didn't completely remove the green) but evidently they knew our hair was going to turn green. I would have appreciated a warning. We could have wet our heads PRIOR to getting in the water, and put on protective conditioner. Then, the porosity of our hair wouldn't have soaked so much of whatever it is in the water that turned our hair green. Whatever the reason, be it high/low pH, I dunno. I'm sure I'm not going to be very popular with Calvin after this post, but people deserve to know that this might happen, then they can take proper precautions before diving. There are many positive things about Athens, and I would recommend it as a local dive spot.

By the way, if your blonde hair (whether natural blonde or color-treated) turns green from this type of reaction, or swimming pools, mix baking soda with your shampoo. After a few days of washing with this mix, you should be back to normal. ;-)

Just as my opinion but Athens has proven to me to be one of the most interesting freshwater dive sites. As others have stated alot of things go into how clear the water is or is not and it can in fact change in a matter of minutes if there are a lot of classes in the water.

Cal has got to be one of the most unique dive park owners I have actually met too. I have had the opportunity to meet with a lot of dive park owners and he is so laid back you almost feel like your a family member there.

I had the opportunity to go diving there just about a month ago and found as always is the case the water temps are almost always warmer then local lakes here and in the summer time it is appreciated that you can dive in water so warm that a bathing suit is often all you need (though more is optional :D )

I hate that I have to drive 4 hours one way to get to the site but I can put it in stone that if I was in Dallas or the Athens area I would be over at the park almost every day they were open.

As for the O.P. I am almost sure by this point in time you may have either been to the park or got answers you sought but I am going to go ahead and put it out there. Its well worth the drive and Cal has made an excellent offer. No like the park then pay nothing is a sheer statement to how friendly the park is. Give them a try!

Trip report and pictures or videos to share from this weekends get together at the Park?

I wanted to make it but work is still getting in the way of my diving on the weekends for a little while longer.

I have been there the last four weeks. Viz has been between 50' to 25'. On the weekend of the 25', the park was pretty busy. Water temps have averaged mid 70's. Great place to dive.

Thinking about driving there from Austin and back the same day. Is it doable? What is a good time of the day to dive there?

You could do it. The diving is not strenous, so leave early, get in 2-3 shallow dives then head on home. Most dive sites have less silt in the morning, so that's what I would suggest. Have fun.

Thinking about driving there from Austin and back the same day. Is it doable? What is a good time of the day to dive there?

Happy Friday and Happy National Donut Day, y'all!

My wife and I are planning on trying this place out sometime in July or August. We just got certified a few weeks ago and want to keep working on our skills. We're going back to the Blue Lagoon where we did our OW dives next weekend, but definitely want to expand our horizons and dive Athens and CSSP this summer before our cruise in December. While there, we're booked on dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

We're looking forward to these new places, and hope to meet new people.

Lefty Writer youll love the cruises and those destinations are premier. Good luck and maybe we can run into each other one day down at Dallas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom