How can I stop surface bubbling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Believe me...I've thought about this for a long time...since my dad talked about diving when I was really young.

I see the dangers in this, some hooks could get really bad really fast. With that being said, it all depends on what type of fishing is going on. If these guys are bobber fishing from shore I'd say you could POSSIBLY do it with out getting hooked. You'd have a good idea where the hook is and how to stay clear until you found it...I still wont try it though.

I really like the idea of putting on a mask. Could you imagine the look on that guys face when he's staring at your bubbles and you pop up with that mask on! It would be awesome, well until he fell overboard and drown. But man, the part before you killed him would be funny!

In a pond near my house, a lot of people go fishing. Its pretty big as far as ponds go. What I want to do is **** with the fishers (for no reason) by scuba diving near where they cast and grabbing on to their hook (with protective gloves) and making it seem like they hook something giant and special that they can't pull in.
In a sense, I want to be a mini Loch Ness monster that only fisherman know about.

I'm wondering how to stop my scuba gear from making bubbles at the surface that give away my position, or at least make it less obvious that I am not a super pond fish, but a diver with too much time on my hands.

If the bubbles are at least slowed down or something I think that'd do it, most fisherman won't suspect that someone would be bored enough to actually do this.

I cannot afford a re breather.

I was diving in a spring fed pond in west Texas and surfaced in time to see my daughter climbing up on the diving board,so I went back under and waited for her,then as she was swimming to the side I took my reg out of my mouth and purged it right under her.Jesus isn't the only who can walk on water!!

I was diving in a spring fed pond in west Texas and surfaced in time to see my daughter climbing up on the diving board,so I went back under and waited for her,then as she was swimming to the side I took my reg out of my mouth and purged it right under her.Jesus isn't the only who can walk on water!!

Man I can't wait to have kids! :D:D:D

.If the bubbles are at least slowed down or something I think that'd do it, most fisherman won't suspect that someone would be bored enough to actually do this.

I cannot afford a re breather.

To slow your bubbles they'll have to be denser than air.

You could breathe something like methane-ox and maybe the smell would trick them into thinking the bubbles were from an underground gas pocket.

Or go with hydrox hope one of them lights up a cigarette. That would make for an interesting surprise!

Breathing dihydrogen monoxide would stop the bubbles entirely, but that has some side effects, so check with your dive physician first.

Breathing dihydrogen monoxide would stop the bubbles entirely, but that has some side effects, so check with your dive physician first.

For more info go to Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info. Also, I have a very good local source for dhmo if you are interested in purchasing.

Furthermore, if you accidentally swallow dhmo, you may want to consult the following thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/380805-peeing-your-wetsuit.html

My old dive buddy, Fuzz, and I were diving at Sutton Lake one late spring weekend ('77, I think). We were sliding along an underwater rock face and found a rather wide overhang. From under the overhang, I looked out and saw a night crawler dangling on a hook just a few inches from the opening. I tapped Fuzz on the shoulder to get his attention, then reached out to take the fishing line above the hook with a thumb and forefinger. I gave it a quick little tug and let it go. The worm jerked up and disappeared.

A few seconds later, it was back and I gave it another little tug. Again it disappeared, then came back. I did this a few more times before carefully cutting the hook off the end of the line. I grabbed the line above the sinker and pulled hard. I could feel the fisherman topside pulling on the line as I jerked my end of it around like some monster fish fighting the hook. After a few seconds of this, I suddenly let go. I looked over at Fuzz and I thought he was going to drown from laughing.

Later, at the dock, when we were out of the water and back in street clothes, we heard a guy telling another man about the huge fish he almost caught.

To the OP, find yourself an overhang to trap your bubbles and don't get hooked!:D

... if I could figure out how to stop my surface babbling, both my buddies and the fishermen would be much happier ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom