Dumbest Mistake PSA; Do NOT Remove Kit Underwater (at least not for a silly leak:))

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad you survived. If you'd been using a proper dry glove system, such as Kubi, this wouldn't have happened.

Edit: the last time I removed my kit was a giant pita. Dry suit, 16lb belt, 14lbs on rig... I was quite floaty and holding on for dear life at 15 ft trying to adjust my pony position (too far forward on cam band).
Sorry to preempt Rob;
because with the bulk of the KUBI you would never have been able to get your self out of the rig. :wink:

Sorry to preempt Rob;
because with the bulk of the KUBI you would never have been able to get your self out of the rig. :wink:
Or the damn things would have popped off🤣🤣

Could you imagine climbing back in the boat, no rig, flooded suit... I would have had to say a kraken got a hold of me or something🤣🤣

Are people putting to much weight on the rig? In a drysuit it’s easier once the weight is split between rig and suit. A neutral rig is very easy to don and doff.

Are people putting to much weight on the rig? In a drysuit it’s easier once the weight is split between rig and suit. A neutral rig is very easy to don and doff.
I do. I have a few lbs on my rig, but not enough to sink myself and the suit. If I did have enough on me I'd be pretty overweight. @rhwestfall says he wears no weight, so there's nothing to split?

The right call would have been get back on the boat and figure it out or deal with the annoying sound and continue. It was a very small steam of bubbles... not a roar like something catastrophic. Believe me, I wasted plenty more gas trying to track it down then it ever would have leaked out on me!

As luck would have it, I punctured a glove on the same dive. After about an hr of that my hand was cold enough it was time to swap it out. I figured out the spg issue swapped the glove, and was back under in about 10 min.

Is that doubles? Drysuit and full cold water gear.... apples to apples?
Yes, compact doubles (9+9 liters, 200 bars, 2 valves plus reserve) or large single steel (15 liters, 232 bars, 2 valves plus reserve) - substantially the same amount of gas (3600 liters).
I use a plastic backplate and a "strange" wing from Coltri, which has protrusions on shoulders and on the sides, so that when fully inflated you remain vertical, not face down, whilst in normal usage underwater you stay horizontal.
No coach strap, and instead a large velcro belt ensuring it to stay very stable, leaving the upper chest free.
I never used a dry suit, although I often dove in very cold water, even under 1m of ice in alpine lakes:
foto2g.gif

Yes, compact doubles (9+9 liters, 200 bars, 2 valves plus reserve) or large single steel (15 liters, 232 bars, 2 valves plus reserve) - substantially the same amount of gas (3600 liters).
I use a plastic backplate and a "strange" wing from Coltri, which has protrusions on shoulders and on the sides, so that when fully inflated you remain vertical, not face down, whilst in normal usage underwater you stay horizontal.
No coach strap, and instead a large velcro belt ensuring it to stay very stable, leaving the upper chest free.
I never used a dry suit, although I often dove in very cold water, even under 1m of ice in alpine lakes:
View attachment 815673
They must build you guys different in Italy... that is way too cold for me in a wetsuit!

As I commenced to scroll down through the lines and begin to evaluate what had actually transpired. The shortcomings of this particular dive quickly became apparent—below and above the waterline. Bona fide technical divers are inherently trained in a technique known as reasoning by elimination. Discipline, skills and drills being the defining factor that sets us apart. The buddy system can work for solo divers, provided there are other divers in the group (shore, boat). Buddy checks and hand signals need to be established and exchanged before and after submerging.

As I commenced to scroll down through the lines and begin to evaluate what had actually transpired.The shortcomings of this particular dive quickly became apparent—below and above the waterline. Bona fide technical divers are inherently trained in a technique known as reasoning by elimination. Discipline, skills and drills being the defining factor that sets us apart. The buddy system can work for solo divers, provided there are other divers in the group (shore, boat). Buddy checks and hand signals need to be established and exchanged before and after submerging.
Is this AI?

Back
Top Bottom