Pony Size & Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a specific question..... and figuring it out
Since it will be empty upon arrival,,,how do you plan to fill it and will the " filler " require a VIP charge?

I'll avoid the whole size question, but just relate about my fill logistics. I dive with a 6cuft pony with a short 8 inch LP hose & button gauge and I do travel with it in a suitcase valve removed. I also bring my own transfill whip on vacation. On the 1st day of the land based trip, we order an extra air cylinder and 3 of us do our initial pony air fill in the 2300 range. Then switch to our regular dive #2 tank of that day's 2-tanker and top off our individual pony's getting to 2900+. Due to the short hose, I only drop ~40psi, depressuring each day, your long hose maybe ~100/day & need a refill on day 3/4 or not.

Fill whip goes back into the dive bag with BCD, etc. If the pony is used (rarely) or needs top-off, then it's topped with the next day's #2 tank transfilled. We use the #2 tank because most people use less air on their #2 tank than their 1st tank of the day and you are usually shallower also. Last dive of the trip has us pull our pony's on the safety stop and breathe them down. When packing the gear for the flight home, we drain & remove the valve, & clear tape the opening with the standard TSA note rubberbanded to the cyclinder. In the whole trip, the dive staff never touches our pony. Again I'm ignoring size discussion and only talking logistics.

Pony-RipCordBag.jpg

In travel, if something is questionable be prepared for disappointment.
It's the person at the airlines counter or TSA or gate or immigration or customs who actually make the decisions, whether right or wrong.

I've had them tell me my regs were a weapon. I'm not going to risk my pony
That's awful. Realistically, I could hurt someone quicker by just beating them with my laptop than taking the time to get my pony out. Even then, it's pretty hard to wield effectively as a club.

Thankfully I've never had any problems with my regs. Unfortunately even though the TSA guidelines are clear, according to the TSA website "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

I completely understand your hesitation about the pony.

I have both 13 and 19 pony's. I travel with my 13 and have it back mounted with a Quick Draw system.

But to be honest, I'm an old guy and my annual tropical trips these days are mostly limited to Bonaire and Little Cayman. Since the Caymans do not allow solo diving, I don't bring the pony since the tank, reg, transfill whip, etc.....adds 15 -18 lbs. Also, at both destinations I'm almost always diving 32% with a self imposed MOD of 100ft for a bit of of added safety........so the 13cf is sufficient for a controlled ascent including SS.

I also just use small ziplock and some blue painters tape to cover the open tank so it's crystal clear to an inspector that there is no chance of pressure.

Since basically all of my travel these days goes through Miami with connections to the Caribbean, I'm thinking that the TSA folks in Miami are probably more accustomed to seeing SCUBA items on their radar range.

Since it will be empty upon arrival,,,how do you plan to fill it and will the " filler " require a VIP charge?

I'll avoid the whole size question, but just relate about my fill logistics. I dive with a 6cuft pony with a short 8 inch LP hose & button gauge and I do travel with it in a suitcase valve removed. I also bring my own transfill whip on vacation. On the 1st day of the land based trip, we order an extra air cylinder and 3 of us do our initial pony air fill in the 2300 range. Then switch to our regular dive #2 tank of that day's 2-tanker and top off our individual pony's getting to 2900+. Due to the short hose, I only drop ~40psi, depressuring each day, your long hose maybe ~100/day & need a refill on day 3/4 or not.

Fill whip goes back into the dive bag with BCD, etc. If the pony is used (rarely) or needs top-off, then it's topped with the next day's #2 tank transfilled. We use the #2 tank because most people use less air on their #2 tank than their 1st tank of the day and you are usually shallower also. Last dive of the trip has us pull our pony's on the safety stop and breathe them down. When packing the gear for the flight home, we drain & remove the valve, & clear tape the opening with the standard TSA note rubberbanded to the cyclinder. In the whole trip, the dive staff never touches our pony. Again I'm ignoring size discussion and only talking logistics.

View attachment 837489
Thanks a bunch for your experience here! I would just VIP myself, then fill it where I can and whip it where I can’t :)

I have both 13 and 19 pony's. I travel with my 13 and have it back mounted with a Quick Draw system.

But to be honest, I'm an old guy and my annual tropical trips these days are mostly limited to Bonaire and Little Cayman. Since the Caymans do not allow solo diving, I don't bring the pony since the tank, reg, transfill whip, etc.....adds 15 -18 lbs. Also, at both destinations I'm almost always diving 32% with a self imposed MOD of 100ft for a bit of of added safety........so the 13cf is sufficient for a controlled ascent including SS.

I also just use small ziplock and some blue painters tape to cover the open tank so it's crystal clear to an inspector that there is no chance of pressure.

Since basically all of my travel these days goes through Miami with connections to the Caribbean, I'm thinking that the TSA folks in Miami are probably more accustomed to seeing SCUBA items on their radar range.
This is exactly the perspective I was looking for. I would dive very similar to you, above 100’ and EAN. I am planning to sling it, which sounds doable with both but better with a 19. You always choose to pack the 13 instead of 19 for air travel?

Yes..... I am convinced that a fully charged 13 is sufficient for a controlled ascent from 100ft in the very unlikely event of a full out of gas scenario.

Yes..... I am convinced that a fully charged 13 is sufficient for a controlled ascent from 100ft in the very unlikely event of a full out of gas scenario.
It works plenty well enough including a stop. I wouldn't want to rely on it knowing I have a long hang (5+ minutes). Then again I'm not doing long rec deco dives solo.

How clunky is it to sling a 13? I use a BPW so I can move rings to anywhere and plan to bungee like SM. At double my SAC I should be fine from 100’ with 13, and it does seem decently easier to pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom