Trim feedback lower back pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kikabock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
SportDiver_20231218_144845.jpeg
SportDiver_20231220_111137.jpeg
SportDiver_20231222_113931.jpeg
SportDiver_20231223_121947.jpeg
I’m a recreational warm water diver 1 tank and use a scubapro go bcd with integrated weights. I have chronic lower back pain and this recent trip to Bonaire was tough. I do shore dives but valet style with husband carrying my gear into the water and I gear up there (lucky me). I would love feedback on my trim in trying to determine if I need to upgrade my gear to better support by back, work on my trim or just do core strength exercises. Any feedback is welcome.

300+ dives advanced padi certified use nitrox. I weigh 180 and use 18lbs weight.

Positioning looks good. However, it's easy to compensate for an imbalance when kicking. Such compensation MAY contribute to lower back issues. Ideally, your orientation would not change if you stop kicking. Usually flat is good because kicking doesn't change your depth, but it's cool to hang head down without kicking to look under ledges. The point is you stay in whatever position you put yourself in without work to stay there.

I do feel 18 lbs is probably more weight than you need with what appears to be a 3mm shortie. You would need to do a check at 10-15 ft with minimal tank pressure and empty BCD to test that theory.

You can approximate it in a pool with a full tank by taking off 10 lbs (5 lbs since you have a full tank and 5 lbs for the salt/fresh water difference). Just note that your trim may be different in a pool, but ignore that. First establish total weight, then work on distribution.

View attachment 819639View attachment 819640View attachment 819641View attachment 819642I’m a recreational warm water diver 1 tank and use a scubapro go bcd with integrated weights. I have chronic lower back pain and this recent trip to Bonaire was tough. I do shore dives but valet style with husband carrying my gear into the water and I gear up there (lucky me). I would love feedback on my trim in trying to determine if I need to upgrade my gear to better support by back, work on my trim or just do core strength exercises. Any feedback is welcome.
you are like me if you have back problem use a support belt even when diving it will help.

Positioning looks good. However, it's easy to compensate for an imbalance when kicking. Such compensation MAY contribute to lower back issues. Ideally, your orientation would not change if you stop kicking. Usually flat is good because kicking doesn't change your depth, but it's cool to hang head down without kicking to look under ledges. The point is you stay in whatever position you put yourself in without work to stay there.

I do feel 18 lbs is probably more weight than you need with what appears to be a 3mm shortie. You would need to do a check at 10-15 ft with minimal tank pressure and empty BCD to test that theory.

You can approximate it in a pool with a full tank by taking off 10 lbs (5 lbs since you have a full tank and 5 lbs for the salt/fresh water difference). Just note that your trim may be different in a pool, but ignore that. First establish total weight, then work on distribution.

Thank you yes my weight is heavy I agree and I’m unsure how to remedy we did 20 shore dives in Bonaire playing with it and kept landing on 18 which makes me question my gear…

I have suffered from lower back pain due to degenerative disc disease (DDD) in 4 discs (L5, L4, L3 & L2). I can no longer sleep on my tummy anymore for the same reason. I train 6 days a week, very 'trim', weight wise - BMI under 24, with a strong core. Unfortunately, over the years the solution that I found to work the best was pain killers, to take ibuprofen before each dive. This may not be acceptable to you. But for me the 'pain' was from my verterbrate rubbing against each other due to the DDD.
Very best of luck with finding a non-medication solution.

What's a "chronic lower back pain"? I have bad discs (L4/L5), but so far (knock on wood) at the stage where they can be "managed" by PT. Last I heard "normal" PT for it is a subset of core stability/strength program; lucky for me I know how to swim and have a Y pool 5 minutes away: long-term that's even better.

Obviously, if your discs are gone and your vertebrae need fusion, core strength program is not going to help.

I have suffered from lower back pain due to degenerative disc disease (DDD) in 4 discs (L5, L4, L3 & L2). I can no longer sleep on my tummy anymore for the same reason. I train 6 days a week, very 'trim', weight wise - BMI under 24, with a strong core. Unfortunately, over the years the solution that I found to work the best was pain killers, to take ibuprofen before each dive. This may not be acceptable to you. But for me the 'pain' was from my verterbrate rubbing against each other due to the DDD.
Very best of luck with finding a non-medication solution.
ahh a understand you ! two aleeve before a dive feel good for me 🥶

You might be able to get away with less weight, but who knows?

To me, your trim looks fine, but I am not picky about it. However, I am curious as to how you would look when relaxed? Would your trim drastically change? Are you using all kinds of tension in your low back and butt to maintain that position? If so, that might be a place to start.

Perhaps you could benefit from some relocation of some weights, which might give you a better resting trim position and thus reduce tension in your back? Just a guess, sounds like I am being critical, but it is more of an idea about how you might experiment. I don't think changing your gear is going to make much difference in low back pain in the water.

My solution for lower back pain is morning warm up every day. 150 crunches, neck stretching, "cat-dog" (on your 4, lift straight hand and leg diagonally, left hand with right leg, right hand with left leg, a dozen times). Before going to bed, I do the 1st half from this yoga class. When diving, I pay attention to keep my back straight and never, ever twist my upper body with the tank on my back. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom