Snakebite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know whether a snake can bite through a compressed/crushed neoprene drysuit? I dive a Bare XCD Tech, and while it seems very tough I don't know if it would stop a cottonmouth or copperhead. I'm not squeamish about a non-poisonous snake bite, but while going through my mental checklist before soloing in a local lake I realized that there is a possibility of snakebite while entering or exiting, specifically cottonmouths, and I could be screwed if I was solo and got bit by a venomous snake. Has anyone had a snake try to bite through a similar drysuit before?

No idea, but I ****ing hate snakes! I think I'd steer clear of that water even if I was wearing a suit of plate armor!

Oh FWIW knives can stab through most (standard) bullet proof vests, so my best guess is that a snake could bite through a drysuit.

Why did it have to be snakes?

Michael

Wow, I concur, snakes are evil. I would guess that just about any snake will bite through whatever exposure protection you are wearing. Most snakes have awesome jaw strength and speed. I must add that for me, it doesn't matter, the heart attack will probably kill me before any envenomation would, as I friggin hate snakes. Dood, did you really have to remind me that they are in my favorite places to hang out.... really. (shivering @ the thought)

Just watch where you step. I almost stepped on a cottonmouth walking out my back door.

You could wear the snakebite gators. They would serve a dual purpose with a drysuit too.

Sorry, didn't mean to give anyone the shivers. Just doing an honest "what if...", as is prudent for any solo diver, and I really don't have a good answer to this one. BTW, I dove the lake Saturday, and did watch where I stepped. No issues. It's not like the lake is crawling with snakes, but there is no reason they couldn't be there either. Great Dismal Swamp is only a few miles away, and who knows....

Virtually nothing to see in the lake, just sand and algae, a few dead trees. No fish, so that likely means no snakes (yet). Very boring. No desire to go back unless I have to test a drysuit seal or something like that and don't want to drive two hours to the quarry.

Considering the fact that you weigh a good deal with your rig on, the vibrations you create as you walk toward them will almost always make snakes move in the opposite direction.

Water moccasins can be a different matter, however. Sometimes they're just in bad moods.

But, the fangs of a cotton mouth can pierce a compressed neoprene suit. A bag suit may as well not be there.

Just stomp heavily on your way to the bank and splash about a bit before entry, you should be OK.

But if things go wrong, can I have your drysuit?

the K-ompassionate One

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom