Nasty (but still working) SP R380

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUIwowee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
ScubaPro posted the following picture on their Facebook account: Scubapro Facebook
It's an R380 second stage that was brought in for service. Amazingly, the thing still worked! That is one NASTY reg!:yuck:

Looks like someone went diving in a mud-hole (maybe a few times) and did no post dive servicing. The fact that it still worked is not surprising although you can see where performance must have suffered for a bit while the lever had to clean the deposits from the diaphragm. Also, you can see where the air flow must have cleaned deposits from the case just below the mouthpiece opening. Guess where that crap ended up.

I'd almost be willing to bet that that second stage belongs to a Public Safety diver. Those folks dive UNDER the mud. We service a lot of PSD regs at our shop and we see a lot of octos that are that dirty. It's a testament to the engineering of the reg that they still work after that abuse. You can never get them as clean as they were when they were new, but you can come fairly close.

BTW, that's just dirt--you ought to see some of the corroded regs that have come through my shop! I don't care who you are--those things are nasty! (apologies to Larry the Cable Guy...)

Back
Top Bottom