Divemaster Needed for Olympus Wreck Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I mention my (opinionated) dive buddy is on the board, too? Jay, thanks for the report link!! As Jenna noted, I think we are (she is :wink: ) leaning towards getting a good briefing on board and heading off on our way.

Nitrox Cert is a Plus!! I dove there for a few days and had a great time the wrecks and sharks were awesome. 30% is their usual mix for the wrecks, didn't need a divemaster as a guide the wrecks are pretty finite, not really a chance to get lost, just my opinion. Trip Report

I agree htat the sharks are awesome and that a nitrox cert is definitely a plus. You don't need a dive master but I'd advise a little more caution wrt to navigation though. Some wrecks are easy (Spar, U352. Papoose, Schurz for example), but not all of them are. I sometimes lose my bearings on wrecks I have been on many times before.

Appreciate the word of caution Joe in regards to navigating the wrecks. We'll both be nitrox cert'd but I'm still not convinced that's the way to go. The O2 tox levels for such deep dives are pretty high. Thoughts?

They bank 30% which will keep you in the neighborhood of 1.4ATA on most of the wrecks. Only you can decided if the extra bottom time is worth it.

Having been a DM on a boat in Morehead, I'll say some of the things to be prepared for- there can be multiple currents within the water column, Do Not Parachute to the wreck!!!! Even if you can see it from the surface. Some of the wrecks can get you spun around, especially some of the inshore stuff. Carry a whistle/sound device, a marker, and a SMB if possible. Lights are good as you can look inside holes, etc. As for hiring a DM, kind of up to you, but the advantages there are: a DM will take you to the best spots on the wrecks, hopefully point out some of the cool marine life, and overall keep an eye on you should it be necessary. Nitrox is the way to go- 30% and the wrecks have a hard bottom, so- you aren't going to exceed your planned ATA. I believe Olympus runs any of the deeper stuff as a tech charter (Naeco, etc) where you might have a depth over 130, so....Anyway, if a DM is not a requirement, choose for yourself, oh- and one last point- memorize what your boat's anchor looks like, as there can be multiple boats on a wreck....Have a great time, Olympus runs a great trip, as do all of the boats down there.....

Is the ean30 pegged to a po2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for their deepest depths?

1.4 - you won't be diving deeper than about 120 ft

If you are asking...I would say that YES is the answer. Any lack of confidence is never a good thing. I am sure that the operator can provide a DM to accompany you on some incredible dives, is the cost even an issue? If you are comfortable that your level of training and experience allows you to conduct the planned dive but are unfamiliar with topside or below conditions ....the only answer must be..hell yes dive with a knowledgeable DM. I have met many of the folk who work with Olympus and don't think any of them will steer you wrong, give them a call and ask them.

Dave,

I appreciate the abundance of caution, but the answer isn't really to decide on the conservative edge of every risk management decision. If it is, one is either not going to accomplish anything or not looking hard enough to find an appropriate number of risk mitigation opportunities in one's desired activity. Just asking doesn't mean the answer is automatically "yes". If it were, the answer to the question "should I get in the water with a rented explosive metal bomb strapped to my back and expose myself to pressures multiple times that which I am designed for?" would clearly be "no!". Oh and there will probably be sharks.

I think a good indication that you're managing risk appropriately is when you look deep enough to find opportunities to mitigate risk, become educated in those mitigations, and determine that they're unnecessary in order to keep the activity within your level of acceptable risk.

WRT this decision, I'm still learning the benefits and I appreciate the various viewpoints. Thanks.

-Ben

Last edited:
IMO those are easy dives. The surge and currents are as mentioned..sometimes. I used a jon-line for some of my descents, ascents and SS. With the rigging bobbing around it was very pleasant being teethed to the rigging but not getting jerked around by it. There are 2 regulators running down to the hang lines for OOA situations and O2 on board.
It is great diving and Olympus is a 1st class operation with really great people.
Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom