Need Some Conformation about Tallying Up Training Cost and Availability.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Masta_Ace

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello All.

I would like to acquire my dive certification. What I know right now I need to get it is class lessons/with pool time and open water dives. I made a post a month back about considering diving, and have finally decided to do it. Does anyone know if you can get your open water certification at the resort you are staying at? I will be staying at catalonia Yucatan Beach, so if anyone has ever stayed there, give me the
4-1-1 about scuba cert. on-site.

So, what I think i'll need right now is:

$189 - E-Learning Open Water Diver Referral Course (Includes Pool Sessions)

and

$ Unknown Cost - Open Water certification in Mexico At the resort I will be staying at.

Found this online,
Scuba special offer includes:
* 4 nights accomodation Catalonia Yucatan Beach
* 3 days FULL PADI OWD Certification including books and dive gear
* All Inclusive.
* non- motorized watersports and free snorkeling. (including gear)
* tax and service charges.
* Cancun airport services can be included in package.

Now, I already have booked my vacation to the resort and for two weeks, so I wont need the 4 night accommodation or the airport services or any of that, just the FULL PADI OWD certification and dive gear. Any estimates at how much that costs?

----------------------------------------------

SO, I want to know is the above all that I will need to get me fully certified?

And for starter equipment I'll have to acquire; a wetsuit, snorkel, mask,
mouthpiece, and maybe fins. SO that is probably hovering around $300- 400 right.

Thanks, And any tips or pointers are much appreciated. :D

If you are there for two weeks, skip the e-learning, just take the complete course (4days) I did it at a resort in Tulum, Mexico.

It was easy, you can do assigned book work and watch DVD/CD the night before each of the first two days- (stays fresh for your quizes) you have a good chance of being the only one in the class (huge benefit) and really, what else are you going to do?

call the resot and get a price.

good diving to you!

Cost of scuba diving ... however much $ you have, you'll need more. :D

and really, what else are you going to do?
!

What do ya mean? Its Mexico, Im going there to party too!!! Studying for quizzes on
vacay? Doesn't sound too appealing to me. I'll get that finished at home, and just do the OWD in Mexico. I heard the doing your OWD in Mexico is really a great place,
because of all the coral reefs.

I have no real problem with the e-learning provided you do a very thorough job of it. While there is a lot of surplus and a lot of redundancy, there is a lot that is important to know. When I talk about learning something and knowing it, I mean learning it with permanency and really having a handle on it, not just reading it and remembering it long enough to pass a quiz.

If you do the e-learning over a two or three week period, with good review, you will learn it well.

Mexico is generally a good place to do the OW. However, it will not prepare you for diving in more challenging environments such as cold water, limited visibility and kelp. Before diving such environments, you might want to consider additional instruction, even if just in the form of having a DM accompany you on a dive.

Never said anything about studying for quizzes or about remembering it just long enough to to pass a quiz. Your study habits are your own, everyone is different. You will get out of it what you put into it. I deal with referral students, you can tell the ones who put in the work and the ones who don't. Did you know even as a referral, you may have to take a test to demonstrate your knowledge retention?

I love to party too! but you can only drink 24 hours a day for like 10 days before you need a break. And if you drink the cheap Tequila - its like 5 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom