Question Diving in sipadan expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orcaorca

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I haven't been to many places, and I currently reside in East Asia. Going to Sipadan from here doesn't involve much travel, so I'd like to ask if Sipadan is considered expensive when compared to the whole of Southeast Asia.

I don't intend to stay in luxury resorts. From what I found, the simplest backpacker package costs around RM2,700 and includes one day in Sipadan with three dives.

As I mentioned, I haven't dived in many places, so I'm not sure if it's considered expensive compared to diving spots of "comparable quality" in Southeast Asia.

Additionally, I'd like to know if there's a significant difference between snorkeling and scuba diving in Sipadan?

In fact, I only have an Open Water (OW) certification, so if I were to go scuba diving in Sipadan, I might have to take the Advanced Open Water (AOW) course as well. Interestingly, with the same operator, the cost for AOW certification along with a day in Sipadan is RM2,725. Whether in Malaysia or other countries, the cost of an AOW course is usually not less than RM1,000.

So, if I include the AOW certification, it seems like a very cost-effective option for me.

If only do sipadan one day 3xdive then the price is RM1100, still 2.5~3x times than other asean places.

There are various diving areas in Republic of China(Taiwan).

As for diving in Sipadan:
There is a quota system on diving in Sipadan. You have to ask the operator to clarify it. Highly unlikely that you will be diving on Sipadan everyday.
AOW is usually a two days course, you need to ask if manual is included. No hidden charges.
"If it is too good to be true"......

Not sure if this is too late to help, but after just coming back from Sipadan, my main issue is that the Permit (not the dives) is $90 USD per day to dive Sipadan. Too expensive. I think this is the most expensive dive permit in the world? But people (like me) still come, so, why not keep raising the prices? Also bear in mind this is a permit for 2 dives. Your 3rd dive will be elsewhere.

I stayed with Scuba Junkie in Mabul and had not realized what was making the trip so expensive until I got there. The price SJ is charging for diving and accommodations is really reasonable if not for the permit. But you also don't have to dive Sipdan every day.

For permit availability, I was able to get 5 days of Sipadan permits on a 8 day itinerary with SJ. I don't know how the permit lotto goes anymore, but money and really the desire to dive the same sites many days in a row was the limiter for me.

On a side note there is also a new island that has opened since November for Diving - Seamill. So when you're there you will likely dive Mabul, Kapalan, Sipadan islands. Quite a bit of variety. Seamill is basically a private island, nobody else will be diving there, it is wonderful.

Other things you might want to consider is - why are you going to Sipadan? It may be worth your while to break down what is it that you are expecting to see there.

The signature features at Sipadan are
1. Hammerhead
2. Chevron Barracuda ball

#1 I went to Sipadan 4 days (Ended up switching the 5th day to Seamill for variety) and saw 1 hammerhead at a very far distance that took a quick peek at us and took off. 40-50ft away? 10 second viewing perhaps. Others saw "some", but nobody was seeing a school so I left Sipadan wondering why people are trying to see hammers there when they are more plentiful in other parts of the world.

#2 DMs had not seen the barracuda ball / for several months when we saw it (nevermind if it was in a tornado formation, just did we see them or not?). After reviewing the video, the DM's said it was about 1/2 the size of the "large" ball, so perhaps the school split. Maybe they will group back up some day? But just want to set expectations the % is not very high to see it right now. I saw the cudas 2x in 4 days, the first viewing was a small ball. Perhaps a couple hundred. The larger one was enough to where I couldn't estimate count. 1k? The large viewing was actually not at barracuda point, but in the deep blue at hanging garden.

So ironically for me the things that stand out from the trip are neither of the signatures.
1. seeing +50 devil rays "flying" together as a squadron at Seamil was maybe one of the most majestic wildlife viewings I have ever seen. It's another blue water dive and another couple I befriended went 3 days and never saw them though, you have been warned...
2. 4 pygmy seahorses on 1 fan. We saw pygmies 3 different times (I did ask our DM to see some, non photographers were not super excited about them though...)
3. 4 different ghost pipe fish. Pretty much saw one every other day, aren't they supposed to be rare? :O
4. Huge school of bumphead parrotfish up close. You will see them, the viewing is really cool once you get over the fact that you are swimming in their poop.
5. Tons of variety of sealife in large numbers. Cuttlefish, nudis, octos, crocodile fish, jacks

So is it worth it? What happens out there is a "blue water dive" to see the hammers. This will be dive 1 on every Sipadan day unless you have enough votes on the boat to avoid a blue water dive. It's basically a very deep dive (80-90ft) where you swim out into the blue on a square profile (out, 90deg sideways, 90 degrees back) and see nothing while you wait for a chance to see a hammer.

This part (and the $90/day) I would say are absolutely not worth it to me. The rest of my stay I quite enjoyed.

About your AOW, seems like a separate issue. You absolutely will need to get your AOW to do a deep dive like they will do at Sipadan. I would not recommend getting your cert there, but instead, recommend you do classwork/certs at home or at your normal haunts. Dive and enjoy at the expensive/special places, that is the point of being there right? I just don't see the discount if you are there at one of the top dive places in the world, doing logic puzzles at 90' on the sandy bottom instead of out "diving".

Snorkel vs dive: What are you expecting to see? In general places with current, have wavy top sides. I don't enjoy snorkeling that, but I also don't know where snorkel tours are taking people and what people are trying to see.

I dived with Borneo Speedy Dive this month. They seemed to be one of the largest local shops. 4 days of fun diving including 2 days at Sipadan cost RM2850, so I considered it a good deal. They have many different packages. I can send you the information sheet I received from them if you need. The dive computer they rent out is Shearwater Peregrine, which I also liked.

But like others said, you need to have AOW to dive at Sipadan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom