PADI OW certified...now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Just got my OW certification a few weeks ago, but I'm a bit mystified about what to do next. I wouldn't mind getting some dives under my belt, but I'm not sure where to go or who to turn to. :confused:

Keep in mind, I'm not exactly swimming in money, so I'm afraid any further courses or buying some new gear is out of the question for the time being. I'll have to rent most of my gear, I have the basics you need for the OW course plus exposure protection.

Anyhoo, any advice would be more than welcome!

There is lots of opportunity to dive withing a couple hours drive of you and there are lots of divers to hook up with. There is a quarry on the Quebec side that lots of people go to for practice year round and this time of the year a lot of diving is going on in the St.Lawrence river. You may want to give a look see at ontariodiving if you don't get much response here.

If you certified in Ottawa (or are in town); then I think pretty much every local dive shop holds a weeknight dive program through the summer. You might want to get plugged into one of those programs; it will get you out diving to some of the local sites, and usually the LDS will rent kit to you at a reasonable rate too.

Thanks for the info! The LDS I got certified with does indeed have a weeknight dive program, I'll have to check it out!

Go dive within your training limit. If you can find a good buddies, teammate it will help you to gain experience a lot quicker. Renting is not expansive although you may not get the best equipment, it will do just fine. Don't buy until you know what and how you want to dive,then buy what you want. Also try looking for used equipment.

Welcome to diving!

I dive out of enjoyment and to practice what learned.

I take courses to learn from professionals and to try to avoid developing bad habits.

Most agencies recommend that you train at least until Rescue Diver.

Have fun!

I just got my certification as well, and felt the same way you did. The major LDS in Ottawa, as you know, have the weeknight dives. I went to my first one last night and it was amazing! First time since my certification in May. The site was the Conestoga, and the dive masters were so helpful. It didn't matter if I had a buddy or not. The water temp was amazing (I had a 7mm full with a 7mm over top!). I'm on a student budget, so the rental fee is all you have to pay, for one night. So just walk in and register for the weeknight one and you'll be amazed how easy the process is and how awesome the dive is! :)

Second the opinions here.... get hooked up with your LDS and make lots of dive buddy friends. Most of the folk you'll dive with are more than happy to share their experience with you if you're willing to listen. Renting the gear until you know what you like and what works for you is advice every new diver should be given by their LDS, but most aren't. Enjoy diving!

Thanks again for the tips everyone! Like hilaryeroberts, I dove the Conestoga a few weeks ago on a weeknight dive with said LDS. Was great! Unfortunately, most of the dives they have from here on in require AOW training, so I may have to wait a while longer. Do people in the Ottawa area dive Morrison's quarry on a regular basis? I just received my FQAS card in the mail, so I'm good to go there... :D

Great stuff! Glad you got out to the Connie for a local dive.

The river is nice and warm this time of year (as hilaryeroberts noted). One of the downsides though is that daylight hours are shrinking in the evenings, so the organized dives often are looking for night diving experience at a minimum.

Connecting up with some divers who go out on weekends is a good option as fall approaches. The Rothesay is another popular OW wreck; Prescott docks and Centeen park are also less advanced shore dives.

The quarry hosts a broad range of local divers, from OW students to tech divers working on skills. It is quite popular, particularly on the weekends. It is closer to Ottawa than say Prescott, so is convenient. Getting through the thermoclines can be a bit 'shocking' on a warm day.

Have fun diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom