Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP the Virginia Aquarium has a volunteer dive program. I don't know where you are in NC but if you are in the southern parts it may work out for you, once you have some experience. You have to be AOW inorder to join the volunteer dive team. We just did 2 45 min dives yesterday, in 2 different tanks.:cool2:

Thanks, there are a few in my area. However I am brand new and not too sure I could pass the required swim test.

While the GA Aquarium dive is expensive, I have to say I highly recommend it, I dove among 4 whale sharks, manta rays, a sawtooth shark, hammerheads, sand tigers, a guitar fish, goliath groupers all in 40 minutes.
But the highlight had to be my kids "touching" my hands through the glass.

4864246301_d34911c267.jpg

This was my son's favorite moment as I swim over the tunnel in the middle of the tank while the whale shark passed over me.

4864257719_d7c7289d48.jpg

I tried to get the video to play inline but I failed!
Here's the FB link however:
[video]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=469749274224[/video]

The National Aquarium in Baltimore allows diving there. Atlantic Edge handles the dives. Here is a link to the aquarium site. There is a link to Atlantic Edge on the page. It seems kind of pricey ($295).

I know the Denver Aquarium does guest dives. And the interesting thing is that you can also get your altitude certification while diving the aquarium. If that is something of interest to you.

I've done the EPCOT DiveQuest thing twice. I found it to be well worth the price. I was able to have family on the other side of the glass, so it was an opportunity for many non-divers to see me dive, which seemed to be great fun for all concerned. I especially liked being able to interact with the geusts on the "dry side". You really do become part of the show on that dive, which is fun.

For those non-divers among you...there is also a DiveQuest snorkel program, which my wife and I did. That allowed non-divers to don a regulator and snorkel vest and explore the tank from the surface of the water. My wife being a non-diver due to an artificial heart valve, it was was a great way for us to do something together. She later got to watch me do the actual tank dive. A great time was had by all!

Good luck in finding an aquarium dive:)

Mike

OK...I am convinced. Considering the price of the trip to some of those places to just get an opportunity to dive in an aquarium I will sadly pay my 300.00 which will allow me to do 12 nitrox drift dives in the Cozumel ''aquarium''...:D.

Wow, have to use their gear?

What lasts a minimum of four hours? the tank? Thats quite a promise

I feel as though making divers use their gear would open them up to liability (despite people signing waivers) because any gear malfunctions could be negligence, or something. But i'm not a law student, so I don't really know.

It's actually for the safety of the fish. Biggest fear in any ecosystem is accidental introduction of invasive species. Would be major bummer if accidentally introduced either and infection from bacteria or other organism from your gear.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach has a guided tour in their tropical tank for $299 per person up to 4 divers. You are allowed to bring your own mask but all other gear is provided. Includes behind the scenes tour of the tanks and souvenir towel. You can also make arrangements to dive in any of the other tanks such as the Pacific tank if you wish.

Mandalay Bay has shark experience dive in their shark tank for $600 for one hour. You actually get suited up with the chain mail suits.

Colorado Aquarium has training dives in the aquarium for PADI OW divers.

Not sure which one, but there is an Aquarium in Florida (I think in Orlando but not exactly sure) that is open to divers as well. It was in the travel section of Dive Training Magazine within the past few months.

Call your local aquarium or visit online to see if they allow divers.

Looked up Whale Shark online and could not believe how massive it is. Diving with one of those is a must do!

I did one of those dives in a place called Kelly tarltons in Auckland about a month ago. Cost was $135 nzd which I think is about 115 us. For that you get a 40 minute dive in the shark "tank" I'll second/ third the comment that the reason you use their gear is the danger of contamination from outside. Although I was also told another point not mentioned.
The gear is well covered in logos by their sponsors so there is a commercial reason as well We were allowed to use our own mask and wrist computer -not much point using the computer because its fairly shallow.
I enjoyed the dive in the same way as I enjoy indoor karting as a motor racer. Its not "real" diving but its fun for mid winter

+1 to the Epcot dive. I did it a few years ago and it was a blast. Actual dive time is around 40-45 minutes. I was able to use my own mask. They are quite serious about checking C-cards. It's more than a cursory glance, and two "divers" were turned away. Interacting with family on the other side of the tank was the best part.

I want to do the Epcot dive next time I'm down. You don't need to buy a Disney entrance pass.

I want to do it to freak out and have fun with the visiting tourists! Play # Tic-Tac-Toe with a kid. Lick the...no, I won't do that! :rofl3:

Blowing O bubble rings - oh yeah! We need a scuba smiley that does O bubbles...

(not me!)

View attachment 104836

The diver in that photo won't impress me until he learns how to tuck in his freaking console.

Back
Top Bottom