Going to Hawaii to dive for first time.. Looking for advice on resorts/dive charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are taking our first trip to Hawaii. I was thinking of going to Oahu. I have no clue where to stay. I'm looking for moderately priced rooms from $ 150-$250 a night on the ocean.
I'd really like to stay someplace where there is decent snorkeling on the beach. We are also looking for a good dive charter close by to wherever we stay.
Any suggestions or tips?
Thanks
Steve

We went to Oahu last year, and stayed 1/2 time at the Sheraton / Waikiki (VERY nice, central location, right on the beach. Phenomenal views of the ocean). The other 1/2, we were in Kailua at a VRBO rental - about $120/night near the ocean, but not ON the ocean.

I didn't think we'd like Waikiki, but we did. Busy, but great paddleboarding, people watching. No matter where you go, I'd expect that you'd drive all over to the various dive sites. Waikiki seems centrally located. We did dives both north and south of Waikiki.

If you want to stay away from the hustle/bustle of Waikiki, Kailua felt like a residential area - almost suburban. Not sure that I'd do that again. VERY nice place, but didn't have that beach vacation feel. Plus, the wind was going the "wrong" way during our trip, so the Lanikai beach wasn't as spectacular as we hoped. This is what it "should" look like:

lanikai-mokuluas.jpg

View from Sheraton:

d9f767c6.jpg

If you are coming to Hawaii to shop and dive, in that order, Honolulu is great. If you coming to Hawaii to dive and sight-see, try the Big Island next time.

I looked into the Sheraton Waikiki and it's way over my price range. It's like $ 400 a night. Can't do that. I need something in the $200 A night range.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is on the beach and within 15 min walking distance from downtown Waikiki, several restaurants, and Ala Moana Center (shopping mall) they have all ranges of rooms from single hotel rooms to 3 bedroom suites. If you are renting a car, parking at most of the hotels is pricey. I did my OW with Ocean Legends it's not that far from the hotel. They don't have their own boat, but the ones they use wasn't over crowded with divers. One of the boats they use is a catamaran, which was great because there were 6 to 8 foot waves. And they dive on both sides of the island, the time of year that you go will determine how the waves are.
Oahu Hotels & Resorts - Hilton Honolulu Waikiki Beach Hotel & Resort, Hawaii - HI
Hawaii Scuba Diving | Dive Oahu | Tours, Activities & Training

I have been to Oahu twice within the last 4 years. We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beah Hotel. It was comfortable and directly across from the beach. The charter we used is called the Hawaii Nautical. They are located about 30 minutes out of Waikiki in the Ko Olina Resort harbor. I highly recommend them. They are professional and courteous. If you don't want to haul gear they have it all to rent. Both times we went out with Chris - she was awesome and lots of fun. My wife doesn't dive, but she went out on the charter and enjoyed the trip. If you want some great snorkeling you must go to Haunama Bay about 20 min from Waikiki. Here are the links: Hawaii Nautical - Surf and Scuba and Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel

SJ,
When are you looking to come over? If you give me some dates, I can give you an idea of a good place to stay. PM me if you want.
Charlie

We've used VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner for all our lodging when on inter-island trips. I'd take a look there first.

For diving, give Gabe at Kaimana Divers (Kaimana Divers: SCUBA Diving in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Waikiki) a call. His crew is great...good people that love what they do and are good at it. You'll enjoy diving with them. They don't have their own boat, so they can easily dive all over the island. They're quickly becoming the only operator that I dive with on Oahu.

Back
Top Bottom