Mis-aligned fiber optic ports in E-pl1 housing PT-EP01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gasket .... when I get a chance I'll add a coat of clear fingernail polish to the edges to seal any loose fiber. A rubber gasket would probably be nicer but the one I made is from a self-stick furniture pad (the kind you use on the leg of a chair to keep it from scratching your hardwood floor). Alternatively, making a dual cable using the two-hole Inon plug and plugging it into the left-most port would work. The "black" you see around the gasket slot is marker ink from tracing the pattern for cutting.

gasket1.jpg

gasket2.jpg

Very interesting thread, indeed there seems a not so perfect alignment on the flash. As well this was an issue on the Sea&Sea DX1G when it was built which prompted the manufacturer to release and add-on external attachment to funnel the camera flash more directly onto the 2 slave strobes.
Probably to get he most uniform results the INON add-on is the easiest and safest bet.
Thanks for posting

Very interesting thread, indeed there seems a not so perfect alignment on the flash. As well this was an issue on the Sea&Sea DX1G when it was built which prompted the manufacturer to release and add-on external attachment to funnel the camera flash more directly onto the 2 slave strobes.
Probably to get he most uniform results the INON add-on is the easiest and safest bet.
Thanks for posting

Yes, the INON 2-hole plug with 2 cables in one port is a very good option .... In my case, I prefer using both ports because I have a lot of single optic cables with attached molded ends in my "spares" kit. I will probably make up one dual cable anyway since it will work fine on my other housings.

As an alternate (and also works on my other rigs) I decided to assemble a cheap Dual Fiber Optic Cable Assembly. For those that are interested, here are the components, the steps to assemble, and some photos of the project. Some of the stuff was already in my parts cabinet.

1) Tools - fine tooth flat file (or some 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper), an x-acto razor saw, sharp utility knife.

2) Components - 6 ft. fiber optic TOSLINK stereo cable with attached ends (each 6 ft. makes 2 - 3 ft. individual cables when cut ... about 5 USD on ebay for 2 ... makes 4 individual optic cables or 2 dual cables .... get the thin cables (about 1/16th total thickness with 1 mm core)), dual INON connector (about 3 USD from Reef Photo), a package of shrink tubing from RadioShack (about 4 USD), Belkin cable ties - Velcro wraps (had em' ... don't remember price but they are pretty cheap).

Steps - Cut a fiber optic cable in half with a VERY SHARP utility knife or razor blade. Examine the cut end and polish with file or ultra-fine sandpaper if needed. Cut the ferrule flush with the end of the plug (use razor saw) and polish as necessary. With the utility knife, remove a TINY bit of the square edges of the plug ... remove only enough the "round" the plug slightly until it fits the female socket on your strobe .... go slowly or it will not fit snugly (and you get to throw it away). Make 2 of these individual cables. Cut about an inch or so of appropriately sized shrink tubing and slide 2 of the cable ends (the ends without plugs) through the shrink tubing and then into the INON dual connector. Leave a tiny bit of each cable sticking through the connector. Slide the shrink tubing up snug against the connector and heat the shrink tubing for a second or two ... DON'T APPLY TOO MUCH HEAT !! You are done !!

Miscellaneous - Always remove the cables by gently pulling the plugs and not the thin cable. The Belkin ties work fine for me ... use what you like. My rig uses an Athena grip/tray assembly with a custom top assembly. The top (aluminum loop) is made from 1/8th inch thick flat stock and the loop was bent around a scuba tank ... ends were bent slowly at 90 degrees and then cut, drilled, and filed. Short straight sections are cut, drilled, and filed to hold appropriate mounts for your arms. The loop makes it easy to carry, easy to pass up to someone on the dive boat, and the loop is sized to allow me to pass my arm through it when I need to climb the ladder while holding the camera.

Comment - yes, the small steel retainer on the plug will eventually rust ... Your dual cable only costs about 7 USD (not including tools) .... make a new one.

dual1.jpg

dual2.jpg

dual3.jpg

dual4.jpg

dual5.jpg

dual6.jpg

dual7.jpg

dual8.jpg

Any update on the port issue? How is the gasket working? I the same setup and expect my YS-01's to arrive next week with 2 of the S&S L fiber cables.

Has anyone gotten feedback from Olympus on this issue?

I am going this weekend for some trial dives with my new setup. How is everyone using the PL1 dealing with misaligned optical ports issue? Does every one have a gasket like was brilliantly and thoroughly described by OP brucetrinity? Any tips or issues with the gasket?

Since I have 2 YS-01's would it make sense to use the one good port on the housing and then link the one YS-01 to the other using the optical cable? What are the downsides of this setup?

I plan on shooting 200 iso / f 8 / 160 with the flash in manual. I am assuming that no matter how I hook the two strobes that I will have to adjust the output of each one individually and should keep them to a similar setting.

Sorry for sooo many questions. I have been building this system for months and this weekend I finally get to get it wet.

---------- Post added ----------

I am shocked no responses. No one is having an issue with one fiber port being dimmer than the other?

If I did something wrong in my post or something please pm me to let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom